What and how this rock on petrified wood formed

Top Trilo

I found this piece of late Cretaceous petrified wood in the Dawson formation of Colorado. Most of the piece however is this grey ash colored rock and I was just wondering,

1. What type of rock is it? I’m willing to do tests such as scratch and hardness if it will help.

2. How was it formed?

3. When was it formed? Did it form during fossilization or much more recently?

777FFF58-3BF2-4933-9011-2A985C8A0E07.thumb.jpeg.3dfc1712b0708829b31b147f75410cf7.jpeg

366EE3BA-A73D-4641-9146-4CEA1CAB61E9.thumb.jpeg.686070e44716f015c9238fc5d3b8a3a3.jpeg

Thanks for any and all help.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

6 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

grey ash 

You may have answered your own question. Solidified volcanic ash would & does provide silica & other minerals that can fossilize wood. That piece could be part of a limb cast.

Then again, I could be way off base. :shrug:

Edited by daves64
  • Thank You 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.