Max-fossils

Hey everyone,

I found this vertebra back in April on the Zandmotor (Netherlands, most likely late Pleistocene in age). 

I believe it's a thoracic vertebra from some pinniped, but I'm not sure. I've been comparing it to several vertebrae online, especially using the Osteology section in the Idaho Virtual Museum website (which is quite good, perhaps a useful resource for some of you!). 

Unfortunately, I am not finding any satisfying matches. The different seal thoracic vertebrae I am seeing look most similar, but they all appear to have a less wide corpus than my specimen. 

I'm really hoping to be able to put a species name on this specimen; I know it's not complete, but I feel like enough of it is there to be able to make a confident species guess. But I will settle for a less specific ID if necessary.

So, what do you guys think? I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Best,

Max

EDIT: just realized there are no size references on my photos, sorry! 

The vertebra is 8cm wide at its widest point and 5cm long. The corpus is 5.5cm wide and 3cm high. 

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Edited by Max-fossils
Add measurements
  • Enjoyed 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

seal or sirenian?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I think some kind of phocid is a reasonable ID - genus, and certainly species level ID, is out of the question for a partial vertebra. @hemipristis sirenian vertebrae are very dense unlike this specimen, which consists entirely of cancellous bone.

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 2:27 PM, Boesse said:

I think some kind of phocid is a reasonable ID - genus, and certainly species level ID, is out of the question for a partial vertebra. @hemipristis sirenian vertebrae are very dense unlike this specimen, which consists entirely of cancellous bone.

Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for your insight!

One thing I noticed, which is what made me uncertain about it being seal(-related), is that the corpus of my vertebra seemed wider compared to its height than the other seal vertebrae I saw. Why do you think this may be?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

It's possibly a land mammal, but the shape of it doesn't really bother me to be honest.