Megalodon tooth?

Bone 1

So, hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico removed a lot of the sand from the beaches by pulling it back into the ocean unearthing artifacts and other objects. On my trip I found a lot of these in one specific area of the beach while a was walking where the water touches your feet and the sand is wet. This one was the biggest I found (3.5” tall and 3 1/4” wide), and the others were about 1.5” tall. I only took this one. They all looked the same/similar and that caught my attention. Thicker on one side and thinner on the other half. So, were they all megalodon teeth? The surface looks like a rock with sand encrusted in it. If it is, My guess is because it was buried in deep sand and got like these instead of the nice black ones a see online? Don’t know. Let me know what y’all think 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Bone 1

Just geologic, I think. No enamel. :unsure:

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

1 minute ago, yardrockpaleo said:

Just geologic, I think. No enamel. :unsure:

But the others look the same but smaller. So nothing at all then? Ok :-(

I agree with the geologic identification. Lucky for you, you're in a great state with fossils. Search Florida on this forum, I would do fossil hunting trips, either the beach or peace river, or practically anywhere in Florida have lots of Cenozoic fossils. good luck on future finds

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

33 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I agree with the geologic identification. Lucky for you, you're in a great state with fossils. Search Florida on this forum, I would do fossil hunting trips, either the beach or peace river, or practically anywhere in Florida have lots of Cenozoic fossils. good luck on future finds

So, it’s not a tooth that lost its enamel? I’m just kicking myself for not taking the other bunch with me :-(

Edited by Bone 1

Hello,  Bone 1,

No, it is not a tooth that has lost it's enamel.  It is a shell, calcite, sand concretion. You might have picked up a 2nd ... just so you could break one in half to understand the entire composition.

My name is Jack and I have hunted fossils in Florida for 12 years.  I am based on Sanibel and have relatively easy access to the Peace River,  Bone Valley and all point west and north. I find amazing stuff, including those Megs that interest you. When I started , knowing nothing about fossils, I was so clueless that I could not find a single Meg in the Peace River that has 10s of thousands of them for well over a year.  Now I find 200-300 a year, not all perfect, but a bunch of them are...

What happened? I started searching for friends, who were fossil hunters, and would teach me the "trade"... On Websites like this one, in Fossil clubs around the State of Florida ( I ended up joining 5),  found connections with the Paleontologists at the University of Florida (volunteered some of my days to help them dig up fossils that I could not keep), @digit and then I started searching for "compatible" fossil hunting companions. It took me 3 years to find the 1st one.. What you could use is a bunch of friends who share your interest in fossils, and call when they need someone to fill in on a fossil hunting trip.

Sept12thWV3inchMegMerge.thumb.jpg.ae50bca399abdbf288edc97bcdac7a11.jpg

I see that you are close to Jacksonville and that means that finding fossils in Florida is going to be a LOT harder for you than it is for me. I do not quite understand why, but it just seems that fossils are easier to find on the West coast of Florida than the East coast. My son has a place at Ormond by the sea, and I would love to visit him and hunt fossils in Northwest Florida.  I have tried, it's hard to find fossil hunting locations in NW Florida.

Jacksonville is about an hour from Gainesville.  I have copied @digit because he likely knows the opportunities available. 

Edited by Shellseeker
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

28 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Hello,  Bone 1,

No, it is not a tooth that has lost it's enamel.  It is a shell, calcite, sand concretion. You might have picked up a 2nd ... just so you could break one in half to understand the entire composition.

My name is Jack and I have hunted fossils in Florida for 12 years.  I am based on Sanibel and have relatively easy access to the Peace River,  Bone Valley and all point west and north. I find amazing stuff, including those Megs that interest you. When I started , knowing nothing about fossils, I was so clueless that I could not find a single Meg in the Peace River that has 10s of thousands of them for well over a year.  Now I find 200-300 a year, not all perfect, but a bunch of them are...

What happened? I started searching for friends, who were fossil hunters, and would teach me the "trade"... On Websites like this one, in Fossil clubs around the State of Florida ( I ended up joining 5),  found connections with the Paleontologists at the University of Florida (volunteered some of my days to help them dig up fossils that I could not keep), @digit and then I started searching for "compatible" fossil hunting companions. It took me 3 years to find the 1st one.. What you could use is a bunch of friends who share your interest in fossils, and call when they need someone to fill in on a fossil hunting trip.

Sept12thWV3inchMegMerge.thumb.jpg.ae50bca399abdbf288edc97bcdac7a11.jpg

I see that you are close to Jacksonville and that means that finding fossils in Florida is going to be a LOT harder for you than it is for me. I do not quite understand why, but it just seems that fossils are easier to find on the West coast of Florida than the East coast. My son has a place at Ormond by the sea, and I would love to visit him and hunt fossils in Northwest Florida.  I have tried, it's hard to find fossil hunting locations in NW Florida.

Jacksonville is about an hour from Gainesville.  I have copied @digit because he likely knows the opportunities available. 

Thank you for your input. I’m located in Tallahassee, fl. These are from Isabela, PR.

In addition to volunteering with the Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH) in Gainesville there are beaches in the JAX area where fossils wash up (including the occasional meg tooth). Do some searching online (and even in this very forum) for "Ponte Vedra Beach" which should just be a short drive south from JAX.

Cheers

-Ken

Just now, digit said:

In addition to volunteering with the Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH) in Gainesville there are beaches in the JAX area where fossils wash up (including the occasional meg tooth). Do some searching online (and even in this very forum) for "Ponte Vedra Beach" which should just be a short drive south from JAX.

Cheers

-Ken

Hello Ken! 

im located in Tallahassee, FL

This piece is from Puerto Rico. I’m going to look up what your colleague said as well.

1 hour ago, Bone 1 said:

Thank you for your input. I’m located in Tallahassee, fl. These are from Isabela, PR.

So, If you are going to be a fossil hunter in Florida, you will need to identify productive places to hunt within a 2-3 hour drive from where you live. In my case, I live in Fort Myers and drive 115 miles to my hunting locations on the Peace River. It takes me slightly more than 2 hours each way.  That would include Southern Georgia for someone who lives in Tallahassee. 

Most of the agatized corals available on the market today are from the Withlacoochee River near the Georgia-Florida state line in Lowndes County, Georgia, and Madison and Hamilton counties, Florida. These corals are often mislabeled as coming from the Tampa area, but their appearance is quite different.

Also, here is an interesting little book, printed in Tallahassee in 1994, describing interesting places to fossil hunt.

https://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00003731/00001

There are possibly some fossils left to find in some of those places.

The point is that where ever you live in Florida, there are opportunities to go fossil hunting. And we have people who have some knowledge about Florida fossils and hunting locations.

In order to be successful, you need resources who can 1) direct you to fossil sites, and 2) identify the fossils you find.

If you are more interested in fossils from Puerto Rico,  go to the home page of this forum and search for "Puerto Rico", I saw about 100 threads with Puerto Rico in the discussion..   

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

7 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

So, If you are going to be a fossil hunter in Florida, you will need to identify productive places to hunt within a 2-3 hour drive from where you live. In my case, I live in Fort Myers and drive 115 miles to my hunting locations on the Peace River. It takes me slightly more than 2 hours each way.  That would include Southern Georgia for someone who lives in Tallahassee. 

Also, here is an interesting little book, printed in Tallahassee in 1994, describing interesting places to fossil hunt.

https://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00003731/00001

There are possibly some fossils left to find in some of those places.

The point is that where ever you live in Florida, there are opportunities to go fossil hunting. And we have people who have some knowledge about Florida fossils and hunting locations.

In order to be successful, you need resources who can 1) direct you to fossil sites, and 2) identify the fossils you find.

If you are more interested in fossils from Puerto Rico,  go to the home page of this forum and search for "Puerto Rico", I saw about 100 threads with Puerto Rico in the discussion..   

thank you for the info. I would definitely check it out! :-)