JSERTL

I seen this boulder one day driving down my gravel road & threw my back out getting this bad dude in the truck by myself. Probably weighs a couple hundred pounds or more. It's approximately 2'x2'x2'.

I seen the formations barely sticking up above the surface & curiosity got the best of me. I figured if it wasn't anything of interest or value I'd at least get some hands on training in prepping a fossil & the painstaking process involved with exposing it. So can anybody tell from the pics if there's any reason to keep etching away at this bad dude? Also what are these formations if they aren't a fossil? I apologise for the pics in advance it was dark when I took them. I only took pics of the top because that's where I've been doing all the etching.

IMG_20210808_010734115.jpg

IMG_20210808_010928775.jpg

IMG_20210808_011020042.jpg

IMG_20210808_011100492.jpg

IMG_20210808_011128835.jpg

IMG_20210808_010914045.jpg

Looks like a limestone chunk.  I don't see any fossils.  Limestone can take many weird shapes.  This might also have chert nodules in it which also make goofy shapes.  Can you take photos in the daylight?

• I Agree 2

I kinda was leaning towards flint nodule myself since I hunt them all the time to make my arrowheads. But never seen one this big & shaped like this

I'll take some pics tomorrow. I work on it at night because it's cooler. 

Much better!  It sure looks like something is in there, curious about the white round and segmented parts, and what kind of rock is the lavender color?

Sorry, but I don't see anything fossil related in these pictures.  :( 

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Sorry, but I don't see anything fossil related in these pictures.  :( 

So is this just a big flint nodule? Identifying an actual fossil might be a little easier if I'd ever seen one in person so I could examine the details & what not. The paleontologist that digs up Dinosaur's here in missouri that I know is the curator for a couple museums here in missouri. Think it's about time I take him up on that private tour & dig site.

Offer

15 minutes ago, JSERTL said:

Think it's about time I take him up on that private tour & dig site.

Offer

That’s an excellent idea! He will help you out immensely! Heck even if you were experienced that’s  a great chance!

• I Agree 1

Since you're a knapper and it's just a rock I'd take a sledge to it and see if there are fossils inside. Lots of times limestone weathers away on the surface but can have some fossils more apparent inside.

I don't mind chipping away at chert but I much rather make an arrowhead out of some black obsidian I usually order that online in bulk. As it's easier to work with just a little bit more dangerous. But I might take that approach to that rock since I've already spent some time on it

I think what you have there may be close to tripolitic chert.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You're learning about the geology of your area. That's never a waste of time. It puts you several steps above those who know nothing about it.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!