The best of my ammonites 2.0

Bobby Rico

Next up is another Whitby, Yorkshire specimen. Pleuroceras are difficult to ID - P. hawskerense is the classic one from there and I think that’s what I have . With my dumb dyslexic self I made a spelling mistake years ago on the label and this just adds to the confusion. 

I added Andy's excellent blog, he'd be one of the best people to identify Yorkshire ammonites but I am still not sure. Have a look and let me know your thoughts.

https://andysfossils.com/2016/01/31/pleuroceras-the-other-amaltheid-ammonite/

4A1EBD7E-3B84-41FB-9949-3117DFA98D8A.jpeg

B522FA86-E714-46D2-9C57-350FAC09533A.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 5

Very nice ammonites! Even the "ugly ones" are beautiful in my eyes. I have never collected an ammonite - they are either entirely absent or nearly so here in Maine. Please keep posting your excellent collection! :)

P.S. - I think that you write excellently, even with your dyslexia. 

• Thank You 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

10 hours ago, Mainefossils said:

Very nice ammonites! Even the "ugly ones" are beautiful in my eyes. I have never collected an ammonite - they are either entirely absent or nearly so here in Maine. Please keep posting your excellent collection! :)

Thanks very much I will do. Got a few more ugly ones and some beauties too.

Cheers Bobby 

This one was too good not to keep but far from perfect . It has a very fine centre and is a rare example of an uncrushed Pavlovia pallasoides from the famous chapmans pool, Dorset. I kind of like the damaged to the shell, it is for me beautiful in form, like old flaked plaster in a once beautiful but now abandoned room. 

D8003A0B-0BC5-403C-9318-DB3A21B6A40C.jpeg

2B69E308-DBEB-442E-8705-EB1412A22445.jpeg

50C714D9-B42C-432C-9250-44CCB430CA82.jpeg

E34B3DB9-3E1E-4B25-B200-8AB1A7C5CA08.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 5

9 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice imagery.:)

I rather like this delicate preservation as well 

Partials can in my eyes be as beautiful as complete or undamaged specimens. This does display nicely too. Cheers mate much appreciated. 

• I Agree 1

Very tiny at just over 1cm. This neat ammonite is from a lost location . The Quarry is now filled in and farmed land.

Echiocers

Radstock Grove Quarry Somerset UK

collected in the 1950s this is definitely a treasure.

128462E0-8345-441C-9A9C-AB79B1088C07.jpeg

97B93DFD-CB94-42D7-BD50-75DA0B363DC0.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 4

Amazing old locality now completely lost to the collector. It is now a business park and private Nature Reserve.  At it’s hay day Horn Park was incredibly  productive you could collect by the bucket. The label has  been on it for at least 40 years. I think it would be easy to remove it but i feel no need to. 

Brasilia gigantea 

Horn Park

Beaminster, Dorset.Uk

EFA4E56A-3C44-43B3-BF7E-7D5EFBC46254.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

A couple of tiny ammonites between  6mm and 8mm.  

Kosmoceras spinosum, (SOWERBY) Oxford Clay, Yaxley Cambridgeshire

Kosmoceras sp Oxford Clay, Yaxley Cambridgeshire

EDF47723-0E30-41DD-8608-485F10700D1C.jpeg

5FE9A9A8-C3EB-4DE2-B52C-5C87C6B19827.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

A schlonbachia cenomanien stage from Buis les Baronnies Drome France

20200602_173910.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 5

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

Finding a Lytoceras even a tiny specimen always makes a day a great collection day, the evolute shell shape makes the ammonites very appealing.

Lytoceras is a rather “conservative” genus that remained relatively unchanged from the lower lias of Jurassic up to the upper cretaceous, Lytoceras is considered a deep water genus. 

Toarcian Stage, Jurassic Series. 

Lytoceras

llminster uk 

804CC16D-CDC7-4A10-9632-DD1D965CAFC6.jpeg

D2AEA9A1-73AD-4600-9569-87498D00C9DB.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 4

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Finding a Lytoceras even a tiny specimen always makes a day a great collection day, the evolute shell shape makes the ammonites very appealing.

Lytoceras is a rather “conservative” genus that remained relatively unchanged from the lower lias of Jurassic up to the upper cretaceous, Lytoceras is considered a deep water genus. 

Toarcian Stage, Jurassic Series. 

Lytoceras

llminster uk 

I love these! 

Hope you don't mind me posting the gorgeous Lytoceras association piece that you sent me. :wub:

Lytoceras.thumb.jpg.6e55dcfd3ba29bbc0c4e2ee530a963cf.jpg

Lytoceras1.thumb.jpg.169fa1ec5935f4b373067034f4f6faa4.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hope you don't mind me posting the gorgeous Lytoceras association piece that you sent me. 

Not at all . I remember finding this i think it was from around Northampton . Thanks for reminding me, it is really interesting piece . Cheers Bobby 

• Thank You 1

Next up is English Bajocian ammonites . Another from a lost location. The specimens here was collected from a temporary exposure in 1970s  I had five but the nicest one was given to caldigger one Christmas, Doren appreciated that the located has now been lost to the collector. Not the most dynamic of specimens but I really like them .

Leptosphinctes

Oborne Wood, Dorset, U.k 

126DCF95-21C6-4E4A-A33F-ADBD686FF3DD.jpeg

28DAC898-5DB6-4F06-B867-5A7727447ABA.jpeg

5877F894-86BF-4032-9D05-935DEEA82DFC.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 5

As travel restrictions are easing in Europe, I thought I celebrate this week with some Jurassic German ammonites .

Brasilia bradfordensis.from 

Wutach Valley. Middle Jurassic Achdorf Formation, Late Aalenian, bradfordensis zone, staufensis bank. 

This beautiful ammonites was purchased as part of a bigger lot from @Ludwigia Roger often sells his surplus finds and I cannot recommend them enough, they are great quality and always well prepared. I have been adding postcards to my post because a lot of my finds on sort holidays to the coast. Also I think it adds a bit whimsy to my thread. I found a postcard of Wutach on line but It means gorge rather than valley, so I hope it is the right place.

B6164DE3-A201-455F-AFC1-FB969C951FE1.jpeg

C74B3375-F808-4403-BF20-115937F482E0.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 3

25 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I found a postcard of Wutach on line but It means gorge rather than valley, so I hope it is the right place.

It certainly is. This is the actual nature reserve with the gorge, but the entire area, which covers a lot more ground, is called "Wutachtal".

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

44 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

It certainly is. This is the actual nature reserve with the gorge, but the entire area, which covers a lot more ground, is called "Wutachtal".

looks like a beautiful place. Cheers Bobby 

Middle Jurassic, Bajocian Stage ammonite. I believe this is a common specimen.
Parkinsonia Parkinsoni

Sengenthal, Germany

96F14B1B-FA79-427A-92DB-91295D32EE3E.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

10 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I believe this is a common specimen.

Yup. This is the most abundant species to be found there, but they are nevertheless almost all beauts with preserved shell. It's also the index fossil for the zone.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Yup. This is the most abundant species to be found there, but they are nevertheless almost all beauts with preserved shell. It's also the index fossil for the zone.

Thanks very interesting 

Amaltheus gibbosus, probably from Buttenheim.

My sister got this little ammonite from the gift shop at Banz Abbey Museum Germany. The 2.m long ichthyosaur skull according to my sister they have an incredible collection of fossils. 

D2A6D766-05E2-452E-A716-256586545554.jpeg

DB1BAD3F-B15F-41A4-B48F-6D0C9DAD32FF.jpeg

3FA2DEDD-1FA3-485A-8807-2FE7B1FFE77E.jpeg

AF56B5CA-1784-45B0-B313-3400E2CC64C9.jpeg

CCCC25F2-15C7-4A62-9CD9-B1ED5FEA33E7.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 6

Beautiful ammonites, Bobby. All are spectacular. Can you get a more focused shot of the most recent one. Looks like a real beauty just need a clearer photo.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

11 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Beautiful ammonites, Bobby. All are spectacular. Can you get a more focused shot of the most recent one. Looks like a real beauty just need a clearer photo.

Thanks I was unaware that it was blurry. I need to wear my glasses when using my phone. Cheers Bobby 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the brake in posting but here is a big beautiful ammonite , with some nice patterning and worm tube .

Stemmatoceras .

Sherborne Dorset uk

Sherborne is a historical market town that is referred to as such in the Domesday Book ."Doomsday Book" – is a manuscript record of the "Great Survey" of much of England and parts of Wales completed in 1086 by order of William the Conqueror.

E0FDACA6-CBEE-4807-93D8-1BB38469F02A.jpeg

C5E9DDE1-B4AC-4DF3-9015-B552680700AB.jpeg

2CAEFB6D-EBB6-4270-B403-4C3AEA204C36.jpeg

E18C57BF-24A7-4A1F-BEA7-5DBE519AF33B.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 9

Wow, Bobby! Beautiful ammonites! :b_love1:

Not sure how I missed this! Maybe I’ve been away longer than I thought…

I’m following it now, and will be going back through to check out your collection. Thanks for sharing and keep ‘em coming! :D

Edited by FossilNerd
  • Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)