Winner of the July 2021 Vertebrate Fossil Of The Month

digit

Congratulations Kevin!

Stellar find!  :envy:

• Thank You 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Kudos, Kevin!  :yay-smiley-1:

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Congratulations @Manticocerasman! Another well-deserved victory. Paleozoic fish are some of my favorite fossils. 

Regards, 

Asher

• Thank You 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

Amazing specimen! Congratulations, and richly deserved, though competition was certainly tough! :yay-smiley-1:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Congrats.

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

10 minutes ago, Christine.Rowland said:

Congratulations! The prep is as impressive as the specimen. 

So true! How was this prepared, by the way? I was thinking acid at first, but seeing as how hard and clingy the dirt looks, I suspect mechanical, may be a bit of sand blasting?

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

9 hours ago, Christine.Rowland said:

Congratulations! The prep is as impressive as the specimen. 

9 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

So true! How was this prepared, by the way? I was thinking acid at first, but seeing as how hard and clingy the dirt looks, I suspect mechanical, may be a bit of sand blasting?

Thx :)

the prep was chemical with potassium hydroxide. It is nasty stuff, it's a strong base. If you ever use it make sure to use it with safety goggles and gloves. 

It also works only on specific types of matrix, it has no effect on limestone, but works well on clay, marl, and mudrock.

Also make sure to test it on 2nd grade fossils first from the same rocks before trying it on nice specimens, It might dammage tho fossils in some cases.

• I found this Informative 2

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

2 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

Thx :)

the prep was chemical with potassium hydroxide. It is nasty stuff, it's a strong base. If you ever use it make sure to use it with safety goggles and gloves. 

It also works only on specific types of matrix, it has no effect on limestone, but works well on clay, marl, and mudrock.

Also make sure to test it on 2nd grade fossils first from the same rocks before trying it on nice specimens, It might dammage tho fossils in some cases.

Thanks for letting us in on your secret! And, yeah, having read something before on how nasty chemical preparation is, I myself don't dare go much beyond the use of diluted vinegar for now - at least not without proper guidance...! Thanks again, and a wonderful fossil! :default_clap2:

• Thank You 1

Congrats! I cast my vote for this specimen  when it was a tie like 19-19 and seeing the gap extended shortly thereafter I thought the win was assured and so it was. Well-deserved:thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

Such a tough choice this month!  Congrats to EVERYONE for great fossils and especially to this amazing winner!:tiphat:

• Thank You 1

• digit unfeatured this topic