Blue Beach, Nova Scotia - Texture

wyldewastelander

Loose on the cobble near the mudflats/water at Blue Beach, Nova Scotia.  Just wondering if this is textured rock or any kind of fossil. Thanks for your help with this.  Cheers

P8030379edit1.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Oh, nice! Thanks for sharing!

But I don´t know, what it is, sorry...

Franz Bernhard

32 minutes ago, wyldewastelander said:

Just wondering if this is textured rock or any kind of fossil

Probably ripple marks with  Kinneyia (microbial mat)

Edited by marguy

@wyldewastelander , I do not know the geology of your region, do you know the geological period for your rock? did you find only this specimen , or is this rock found in layers visible in the surrounding area?  ( thank you for your reply )

Hi there @marguy. I am not really sure of the geological period for the rock.  I am only suggesting Carboniferous because that's my understanding of the geological period for the significant fossil finds of the area.  I observed this one specimen - it was loose on the rocky area of the beach.  

• Thank You 1

Tool marks are common there, so ripples might be expected. A feature that I questioned about being microbial, turned out to be a settling/dewatering feature. 

There are plant fossils as well as plant and animal traces, so a thin organic layer of muddy surface that puckered some makes sense to me. A thick mat, in human terms, would likely preserve on a microscopic scale if at all.