Help ID a sea creature

elljay

I found this on Ocean Beach in SF. It looks like an echidnoid to my uneducated eyes, but there may also be something else. Any help appreciated-thanks.Fossil2.thumb.jpg.295a1c86c719f112370a57692ec58c5f.jpgFossil.thumb.jpg.9ef2fc543c7aa8dff82c4b612f7a7d7a.jpg

Would you be able to take a picture of it wet, or in isopropyl alcohol (hand sanitiser will do!). It might sound a bit weird, but it brings out the details temporarily!

Is 'SF' San Francisco? Sorry, Brit over here! :)

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Hi, i don't see the features of an urchin here. You should see plates, where the ambulacrum or the peristome or the periproct are.

Lecture 2

Image from here https://www.kau.edu.sa/Files/0000410/Subjects/Lecture 5 EPS 231.pdf

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I agree with the others, while it has the general shape of some echinoids, it does not seem to have any other distinctive features of that group. Instead I see some sort of rock like a conglomerate or something with inclusions. 

Thanks all. I’ll take another photo in alcohol and see if it is more clear. If you look at the bottom left, you can see 5 lines radiating from a central point. This is why I thought it might be a sand dollar or similar rather than a concrétion. It was found on the beach in San Francisco.

7B3E709D-27D3-4F7B-9E38-FB5F842E52DF.thumb.jpeg.924163a729c90266565ae2fd35fb3bea.jpeg

I agree those are probably very worn fragments/individual plates from the fossil sand dollars Scutellaster interlineatum we used to collect there many moons ago. Maybe additional pictures will show the individual plates better. I cant tell the orientation of your find from these photos but it maybe just pieces...ocasionally we found multiple dollars as well as damaged ones that were jumbled/pretty messed up like what I think you have. They are in a dark matrix with white/cream colored plates and once in awhile you could find an almost complete one. 

Here's a link showing some of the fragments another member found and was inquiring about. I used to have some somewhere but I believe they are now long gone.

Continued hunting success. 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks, Chris. That does look similar. I will post a better photo as soon as I figure out the best way to take one.

Best, Laurie