Trilobite Preservation?

NoahW24

Hello! 

As I fall further into this very enjoyable rabbithole, I have enough of a collection now to put some additional time into taking care of it. The fossils I have are primarily trilobites, and I think mostly calcite on limestone matrix, though I’m not informed enough to say if any portion is composed of pyrite/another mineralization. Any tips for keeping everyone in good shape? 
Is sunlight rough on fossils?

Any requirement to maintain moisture/avoid excess humidity? 
pH considerations?

Balanced Breakfast?
Thanks!

best,

Noah

• Enjoyed 1

5 hours ago, NoahW24 said:

Is sunlight rough on fossils?

Its better to avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight for all valuable items.

Any requirement to maintain moisture/avoid excess humidity? 

Too high humidity is usually also not good for most items, favoring growth of mold etc. Usual humidity in a household is ok for most fossils. Except for specimens containing pyrite or marcasite.

pH considerations?

Around neutral is best. Don´t clean your specimens with any acid-containing cleaner, of course. I would also not recommend a basic cleaner. Best to keep them dry - some matrix or fossils may be prone to disintegration when getting in contact with water.

Balanced Breakfast?

:heartylaugh: You already made my day!

Just offer them various kinds of deli food, you will see, what happens ;).

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

20 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Its better to avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight for all valuable items.

Too high humidity is usually also not good for most items, favoring growth of mold etc. Usual humidity in a household is ok for most fossils. Except for specimens containing pyrite or marcasite.

Around neutral is best. Don´t clean your specimens with any acid-containing cleaner, of course. I would also not recommend a basic cleaner. Best to keep them dry - some matrix or fossils may be prone to disintegration when getting in contact with water.

:heartylaugh: You already made my day!

Just offer them various kinds of deli food, you will see, what happens ;).

Franz Bernhard

Thank you for the pointers! So far lox and tuna salad are their top choices, no idea why they would prefer seafood :0 . 

• Enjoyed 1