True or false Mazon Creek trilobites

Bobby Rico

Hi all

Just a quick question , I have been very interested in the material from Mazon Creek since I won a great auction lot from Ralph that included a few fine specimens . While looking today online I spotted a trilobite pygidium that was labelled Mazon Creek it looks like the right type of siderite  concretions but it could be from some where else . So what do we think? I don’t think they was native to Mazon creek but maybe transported there by floods ? 

0C72AA67-4B06-4C07-8368-19553F466F49.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico

Looks more like the 'pygidium' (I don't know if that's the correct term) of the horseshoe crab Euproops danae. There are no published descriptions of trilobites in the Mazon Creek fauna. There are rumors of specimens in private collections, but there are also rumors of Bigfoot so :shrug:

Edited by connorp
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 3

6 minutes ago, connorp said:

rumors of Bigfoot

I never new Bigfoot been spotted in Mazon creek cool, So the Trilobite of Mazon Creek is a legend. Thank you 

• Enjoyed 1

Richardson 1956 reported on the old urban legend that J.M. Weller once saw one in a private collection.

And I have heard similar tall tales from a couple of the old-timers. Unfortunately....trilobites have never been found at Mazon Creek.

image.png.949f8c1498938ad23c338ef8909f0b4c.png

Richardson, E.S. 1956

Pennsylvanian Invertebrates of the Mazon Creek Area, Illinois: Marine Fauna.

Chicago Natural History Museum, Fieldiana: Geology 12(3):59-67  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

4 minutes ago, piranha said:

Unfortunately....trilobites have never been found at Mazon Creek.

Very interesting thank you

I think if it’s an urban legend it is the only one I know about regarding fossils . :zzzzscratchchin:

58 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I think if it’s an urban legend it is the only one I know about regarding fossils . :zzzzscratchchin:

How about some of the earliest fossil myths from Ancient Greece and the Middle Ages? Take a trip down memory lane for the incredible claims given back in the day to amber, belemnites, echinoids and other mysterious stones of power....aye, a little belemnite powder for whatever ails you....or your horse!  

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2F

Just imagine some of the tantalizing topics that would be posted on:  image.png.c1a7546954d6bfc1fedb130c2d49d32b.png mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fweb.archive.org%2F

Duffin, C.J. 2008

Fossils as Drugs: Pharmaceutical Palaeontology.
Ferrantia, 54:1-83  PDF LINK

• Enjoyed 2

33 minutes ago, piranha said:

How about some of the earliest fossil myths from Ancient Greece and the Middle Ages? Take a trip down memory lane for the incredible claims given back in the day to amber, belemnites, echinoids and other mysterious stones of power....aye, a little belemnite powder for whatever ails you....or your horse!  

Yes of curse and Saint Hilda's Spell In Whitby, the legend of snakestones or as we call them ammonites, Named in honour of St Hilda, Hildoceras 

90D4B51A-D557-4CA4-AC52-87B0CE795B9A.jpeg

10082C3F-0B25-45B7-BFDA-FFA27B80D85F.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 2

And an elephant skull was thought to be a cyclops skull in ancient Greece

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I have never heard of nor seen one. Those mentioned by others are probably cases of mistaken identification, although there may be a very, very slim chance of a molt having drifted into the area from someplace far away. Not likely, yet not impossible.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

As others have pointed out, there have been no trilobites found in the Mazon Creek deposit.

Like the Euproops opisthoma (abdomen)pictured above, any identification as a trilobite is simply a case of mistaken identity.

There are occasionally trilobites found (mainly calymene) in Silurian aged dolostone that can be collected in some of the same areas that concretions are found.

Some of the reports of “old timers” finding trilobites can also be attributed to a very rarely found arthropod group named Euthycarcinoids.

Before being formally described, they were referred to by both amateurs and professional researchers as trilobitomorphs.

There are a few described types known from the Essex (marine) portion of the Mazon Creek deposit.

This is a picture of the largest known example of Kottixerxes gloriosus.

You can see how someone might confuse one for an unusual trilobite.

EFF34D8D-C113-4244-B52A-3F71EC3B2FB9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

So we can comfortably say Myth is Busted. Like with all myths regarding creatures,  the foundations are that of miss identification . Mazon is a incredible formation that seams to lend itself to the folklore. Even Illinois state fossils name has a sense of horror to it. Maybe the “Mazon Creek Trilobite “ is the only legend in the fossil record of real creatures been falsely associated to a fauna of a particular formation.  I hope the stories will be still told other campfires and fossil forums of the bug that was seen it in an old boy’s collection.

I have a very small collection myself of Mazon creek bits that I treasure and I understand that a lot of hard work is need to collect there with brambles and biting insects.
So thank you all very much for the interesting comments here, they are much appreciated . Making this silly thread quite interesting. 

@RCFossils thanks for adding the cool trilobite lookalike and info. 

Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico

6 hours ago, RCFossils said:

This is a picture of the largest known example of Kottixerxes gloriosus.

Here is one from @Nimravis

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/67183-mazon-creek-fauna/

D3C63370-3DE4-4E0C-931E-E75AECD7B9DE.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

7 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Here is one from

Wow beautiful specimen . Ralph has an amazing collection Cheers Bobby 

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, RCFossils said:

There are occasionally trilobites found (mainly calymene) in Silurian aged dolostone that can be collected in some of the same areas that concretions are found.

I agree with @RCFossils . That being said, my wife and I have each found a trilobite in the Mazon Creek, both of which are on dolostone and NOT a "Mazon Creek Fossil" or in any type of concretion. Maybe glacial deposits ??

Rock On !!

Phil

On 8/13/2021 at 1:23 AM, Bobby Rico said:

Maybe the “Mazon Creek Trilobite “ is the only legend in the fossil record of real creatures been falsely associated to a fauna of a particular formation.

This 'Cambrian' phantom was published as a new species of ?Paradoxides mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo76.gif&t=1628871350&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1c74-800005011c00&sig=XqCARZOI8gSk2kcSj6al6g--~D

....but later determined to be an Ediacaran organism: Pteridinium carolinaensis

image.thumb.png.a7810952ef61c266c18b4e343d240ba1.png

St. Jean, J. 1973

A New Cambrian Trilobite from the Piedmont of North Carolina.

American Journal of Science, Series 5, 273-A:196-216  PDF LINK

Gibson, G.G., Teeter, S.A., Fedonkin, M.A. 1984

Ediacaran Fossils from the Carolina Slate Belt, Stanly County, North Carolina.

Geological Society of America, Geology, 12(7):387-390

14 minutes ago, flipper559 said:

I agree with @RCFossils . That being said, my wife and I have each found a trilobite in the Mazon Creek, both of which are on dolostone and NOT a "Mazon Creek Fossil" or in any type of concretion. Maybe glacial deposits ??

Rock On !!

Phil

Very interesting indeed please could we see some pictures of the Trilobites . 

I love your sign off.

cheers Bobby 

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I love your sign off.

cheers Bobby 

Sure Bobby , I'll take a couple pictures and post them tonight. My wife also found a cephalopod about 5 inches long in the Mazon Creek on dolostone as well. 

Her trilobite is much nicer than mine. Mine is just a partial. Like I say, I'll photograph each of them and post pictures to this thread .

Rock On !!

Phil

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I love your sign off.

cheers Bobby 

I have found many trilo-bits while collecting at the pits, they were all brought to that location in glacial till. I did not keep any of them since they were not complete and they were not Mazon Creek. At the time that I found them, I was only interested in MC stuff as well as Oligocene mammals from South Dakota.

That could also explain the connection with trilobites and MC, erratic rock. 

Edited by Bobby Rico

On 8/12/2021 at 2:20 PM, Bobby Rico said:

I never new Bigfoot been spotted in Mazon creek cool, So the Trilobite of Mazon Creek is a legend. Thank you 

The Mazon Creek Bigfoot has never been spotted; it has always been striped. :default_rofl:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Here are the tritobites my wife and I each found in the Mazon Creek, but are NOT Mazon Creek Fossils. @Bobby Rico

The one my wife found is the nicer, more complete one.

Rock On !!

Phil

trilobite1.jpg

trilobite2.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

11 hours ago, flipper559 said:

Here are the tritobites my wife and I each found in the Mazon Creek, but are NOT Mazon Creek Fossils. @Bobby Rico

Wow very nice bugs, thanks for sharing and help this thread with other become quite interesting.

All of you members that collect there I think you are really very lucky, I do believe it to be hard work but MC is one of the most interesting and valuable fossil formations in the world :envy:.

I am very proud of my little collection and this week with very little money I have add a worm ( no ID as yet ) and a sea cucumber , looking forward to them arriving.

enjoy your Sunday 

Edited by Bobby Rico

• 1 year later...
On 8/13/2021 at 2:49 AM, Top Trilo said:

And an elephant skull was thought to be a cyclops skull in ancient Greece

As an archeology student who happens to be Greek as well I can confirm that's a lie. Greece in ancient times was not that familiar with animals of Africa or Asia. So there could not possibly have found a skeleton of elephant in greek land. We don't have elephants in our country in general (obviously except zoos etc). So yea 

3 hours ago, Thefemaleindianajones said:

As an archeology student who happens to be Greek as well I can confirm that's a lie. Greece in ancient times was not that familiar with animals of Africa or Asia. So there could not possibly have found a skeleton of elephant in greek land. We don't have elephants in our country in general (obviously except zoos etc). So yea 

Thank you for explaining your knowledge. By elephant skull I did not mean only the extant members, Loxodonta and Elephas, poor wording on my part. Some extinct proboscideans such as Deinotherium giganteum have been found in Greece. This national geographic article, mentions fossils found of D. giganteum found on the island of Crete.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)