Fossil display!

fossilhunter21

Hi! 

So I have been planning on adding some legs to this shelf (I use this shelf as a display because I can't afford anything better right now) because it is really short and it's not very nice to have to sit on the ground to look at your fossils. ;)  So I finally put some legs on it!

It's not amazing looking and not very big and you do have to bend over a little bitt to look at the fossils up close but it will have to do.

I also need some more fossils (I am saving up for a nice unprepared oreodont skull so I'm not going to be able to buy very many for the next few months).  :default_faint: 

Ps. Do you like how I am lighting up the shelf ? :heartylaugh:

Screenshot_20210814-161601_Gallery.jpg

20210814_160138.jpg

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 10

• 2 weeks later...

Im giving you a capital E for effort and a triple AAA Plus for attitude.   Your post made my entire morning.  Thanks

RB

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Duct tape, the handyman's secret weapon!

Yep! 

30 minutes ago, RJB said:

Im giving you a capital E for effort and a triple AAA Plus for attitude.   Your post made my entire morning.  Thanks

RB

Thank you. I'm glad it made your morning. :)

• Thank You 1

Plenty of empty space you got. that needs filling up with fossils and or curiosities. Good luck with finding your Oreodont skull . The badlands has some very cool fossil material. 

• Thank You 1

39 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Plenty of empty space you got. that needs filling up with fossils and or curiosities.

Yep. I can't wait until it's all filled up.

39 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Good luck with finding your Oreodont skull .

Thanks! :)

The badlands has some very cool fossil material.

Yep. 

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • I Agree 1

You have to work with what you've got!
It's far better to have them on display than it is to have them stored away in a drawer. I treat my fossils like art - they are meant to be looked at.

Here in NZ if something is broken and you can't fix it with duct tape, No 8 wire (that's fencing wire, a coat hanger will suffice) or cable ties then you're not trying hard enough :D

You could sell all of your fossils and buy a really nice display cabinet with the money..... I'm going to leave it there and let my logic sink in haha 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 3:03 PM, LabRatKing said:

Earthquake putty AKA hobby tack…

trust me!

Does that stuff have any oily/greasy component to it, or degrade into such over time?

Years ago in my early fossiling days my mother gave me some green stuff that she used for flower arranging, to hold my fossils in place in a display for rockhound shows, much like your putty/tack. Offhand I don't remember what it was called, but it was green and, as it turned out, left an oily residue on the bottom of my fossils that remains to this day, plus some of the putty itself which was difficult to scrape cleanly off. It did the trick well enough at the time, until I noticed what it was doing to my fossils when I pulled them off again. I hope the formula for your tack is better than that green stuff!

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Does that stuff have any oily/greasy component to it, or degrade into such over time?

Years ago in my early fossiling days my mother gave me some green stuff that she used for flower arranging, to hold my fossils in place in a display for rockhound shows, much like your putty/tack. Offhand I don't remember what it was called, but it was green and, as it turned out, left an oily residue on the bottom of my fossils that remains to this day, plus some of the putty itself which was difficult to scrape cleanly off. It did the trick well enough at the time, until I noticed what it was doing to my fossils when I pulled them off again. I hope the formula for your tack is better than that green stuff!

Try Geo-Tac AKA Terostat. Description from Shannon Family Minerals:

“The perfect mounting tac for your minerals: Just the right stickiness; Neutral color, does not stain, dry out or droop. This is THE best on the market!”

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 8/28/2021 at 6:24 AM, Gareth_ said:

You could sell all of your fossils and buy a really nice display cabinet with the money....

OR go to garage sales!!! It is amazing what $5.00 can purchase in terms of shelving. 

Mike

Edited by minnbuckeye

On 9/13/2021 at 11:38 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Try Geo-Tac AKA Terostat. Description from Shannon Family Minerals:

“The perfect mounting tac for your minerals: Just the right stickiness; Neutral color, does not stain, dry out or droop. This is THE best on the market!”

Depends on the brand. GeoRac doesn’t. Poster Putty doesn’t either.

On 8/14/2021 at 1:19 PM, fossilhunter21 said:

Hi! 

So I have been planning on adding some legs to this shelf (I use this shelf as a display because I can't afford anything better right now) because it is really short and it's not very nice to have to sit on the ground to look at your fossils. ;)  So I finally put some legs on it!

It's not amazing looking and not very big and you do have to bend over a little bitt to look at the fossils up close but it will have to do.

I also need some more fossils (I am saving up for a nice unprepared oreodont skull so I'm not going to be able to buy very many for the next few months).  :default_faint: 

Ps. Do you like how I am lighting up the shelf ? :heartylaugh:

Screenshot_20210814-161601_Gallery.jpg

20210814_160138.jpg

Nice shelving! I'm dying to ask, whats in the mason jar?

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Crusty_Crab said:

Nice shelving!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Crusty_Crab said:

I'm dying to ask, whats in the mason jar?

It's a paraloid b72 solustion.