Is this beach find a fossil?

Eastcoast_gal

Hi all - I just discovered this today on the beach and have no idea if it’s a fossil or a useless piece of garbage lol. 

Found sitting in the sand, nestled among rocks on Youghall Beach in Bathurst, New Brunswick (Canada).  About 10 feet from the water line, but near the high tide mark.. so would have washed up there with the tides.  There is a bit of crusty sand still on the front - I’m worried to try and scrape it off. 

Just curious if this is ‘something’ or should be tossed out. Any ideas are appreciated!

F0EA5BC5-4F1F-4442-B6DA-31BC9DFCB9CE.jpeg

333EEC54-1A8F-4CB1-9114-E9A66DA56A2F.jpeg

F5CB575D-36D7-4051-BF10-ABDDCCF676B2.jpeg

8E95A3C8-AD1D-473D-BC89-6F14619D90D9.jpeg

89162DA1-92F6-4C1C-90CC-8C2C354E991C.jpeg

5A38DDDB-EFF7-4C87-8BE0-65DE20932955.jpeg

145FDEBE-2CC1-4A05-B086-49AADFE413AE.jpeg

0A3F0FD9-57BC-4B92-8994-59F61BB278E3.jpeg

B6B817A1-491F-43F9-9734-CDA9393A2D1E.jpeg

Edited by Eastcoast_gal
Clarified location (Canada)

Looks sort of like an operculum from a gastropod (snail).  Not familiar enough with them to tell you which species, but its pretty good sized.  Neat find!

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Your find is the shell of a gasteropod mollusk, commonly called abalone (Haliotis).
There are fossil haliotis, but yours is current.

• I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

Looks sort of like an operculum from a gastropod (snail).  Not familiar enough with them to tell you which species, but its pretty good sized.  Neat find!

I agree.

Yes ! it is possible that it is the operculum of a gastropod, and I have not noticed carefully looking at the photos.
Sorry if I'm wrong, but the Haliotis shell seemed clear to me.

22 minutes ago, Paleorunner said:

Your find is the shell of a gasteropod mollusk, commonly called abalone (Haliotis).
There are fossil haliotis, but yours is current.

I respectfully disagree. I see what you mean, as the shape is similar, but abalones do not occur on the Atlantic side of the US. Also, abalones have a thicker shell, and a pearly luster on the inside. 

I agree with @ClearLake and @Al Dente, I think that this is an operculum (recent, not fossil), but the size and shape is interesting. Normally, any operculum of this size I would have assigned to either the Channelled Whelk (Busycon canaliculatum), Knobbed Whelk (B. carina), Ten-Ridged Whelk (Neptunea decemcostata), or the Waved Whelk (Buccinum undatum). But, the shape of the spiral is completely different. This happens to be, though, the largest Northern Moon Snail (Lunatia heros) operculum that I have seen. I have heard that the snail (not the operculum ;)) can get to 4 inches, but they are rather uncommon down here in Maine. 

Nice find! 

P.S. Welcome to the forum @Eastcoast_gal:)

Edited by Mainefossils
  • I Agree 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

46 minutes ago, Mainefossils said:

I respectfully disagree. I see what you mean, as the shape is similar, but abalones do not occur on the Atlantic side of the US. Also, abalones have a thicker shell, and a pearly luster on the inside. 

I agree with @ClearLake and @Al Dente, I think that this is an operculum (recent, not fossil), but the size and shape is interesting. Normally, any operculum of this size I would have assigned to either the Channelled Whelk (Busycon canaliculatum), Knobbed Whelk (B. carina), Ten-Ridged Whelk (Neptunea decemcostata), or the Waved Whelk (Buccinum undatum). But, the shape of the spiral is completely different. This happens to be, though, the largest Northern Moon Snail (Lunatia heros) operculum that I have seen. I have heard that the snail (not the operculum ;)) can get to 4 inches, but they are rather uncommon down here in Maine. 

Nice find! 

P.S. Welcome to the forum @Eastcoast_gal:)

You're right, I looked, and responded too quickly.
forgive my mistake.

Wow this was fast - thanks all!! @Mainefossils thanks for the thorough reply.. those snails (northern moon snail) were a frequent find on the beach.. though not quite as common these days (the quahogs have taken over!) Have never seen a fully intact operculum before.. good to know what it is!

Appreciate all of the help! :) 

7 minutes ago, Paleorunner said:

You're right, I looked, and responded too quickly.
forgive my mistake.

No need to apologize! It happens to all of us sometimes. :)

3 minutes ago, Eastcoast_gal said:

Wow this was fast - thanks all!! @Mainefossils thanks for the thorough reply.. those snails (northern moon snail) were a frequent find on the beach.. though not quite as common these days (the quahogs have taken over!) Have never seen a fully intact operculum before.. good to know what it is!

Appreciate all of the help! :)

No problem! Would you mind posting some images of the quahogs whenever you have a chance - I am interested in what species they are. 

Edited by Mainefossils
  • Enjoyed 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher