I am unsure on the identification of this brachiopod. It is from the Leighton Formation, Maine; which is Silurian, Pridoli. According to Maine's Paleozoic Record (an excellent book that lists all the fauna and flora found in formations across Maine), there are only two Rhynchonellid genera in this formation, Camarotoechia and Rhynchotrema. It does not look like a Camarotoechia, but I cannot find many references for the internal mold of Rhynchotrema brachiopods. 

I would appreciate any references you have on this genus, as well as any advice on the identification of it (@Tidgy's Dad?).Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Regards, 

Asher

968697222_unknownbrachiopod.thumb.jpg.52af03b99f0ecc8b7015d33d222d864c.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

Could be.

Rhynchotrema,Rostricellula, Hiscobeccus.pdf

It is quite unusual to find fossil single valves or internal molds of rhynchonellids as the valves don't usually separate after death and rarely seem to erode away to leave details of the interiors. So it's hard to determine internal structure without doing cross sections of specimens. 

Thus most papers show diagrams of cross-sections. 

The Treatise also shows cross-sections and what with the size and general morphology, I would say Rhynchotrema is a good possibility.  

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for the paper and the opinion! I have another question though - these valves are not separated, yet they have the characteristics of the internal mold. How do you think this happened? I am at a loss to think of a plausible explanation.

Regards, 

Asher 

Regards, 

Asher 

Hi, Asher.

Just to check, we are looking at just one specimen here?

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yes, this is one specimen. I have a second specimen that looks very similar, if you want pictures of it also. It also has both valves intact, but it was really compressed, so I did not think it was worth it.  

Regards, 

Asher 

Regards, 

Asher