florrisant fossil kit help

Rhiguita

Hello,

I got this fossil dig kit at a rock and fossil store and I was wondering if there is anything I should know about collecting fossils from this formations shale before I open it up and use it? I was also wondering if anyone knows where kits like this are from so I can keep track. Images are of both sides.

20210815_125739_HDR.thumb.jpg.cfec68b8c96db49cabd4ccbcbca7794c.jpg20210815_125737_HDR.thumb.jpg.949d4bf8b60b15fc09ff6864158cd689.jpg20210815_125908_HDR.thumb.jpg.11f10935f1c5a2fd17f91147f3814bd8.jpg

As for the formation, really easy to find fossils. Its extremely fossiliferous and fossils are in every layer. Don't throw out pieces right away if there appears to be nothing significant, I find things I never knew were there every time I look at a piece. There are lots of tiny fossils, many bugs are only a few mm long. Good luck and have fun.

• I found this Informative 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Use an old butter or putty knife for splitting this shale. You can also try an exacto knife as well. 

Check out this topic, as well. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

thank you all for the advice and help.

4 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

As for the formation, really easy to find fossils. Its extremely fossiliferous and fossils are in every layer. Don't throw out pieces right away if there appears to be nothing significant, I find things I never knew were there every time I look at a piece. There are lots of tiny fossils, many bugs are only a few mm long. Good luck and have fun.

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Use an old butter or putty knife for splitting this shale. You can also try an exacto knife as well. 

Check out this topic, as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that my enjoyment of such fossils increases greatly the more I learn about them beforehand. Dr. Herbert Meyer's (the paleontologist at the Florissant National Monument) Fossils of Florissant book is an excellent starting point. Its written for the general audience and can be found at reasonable prices at many vendors. Keep in mind that most of the fossils will be leaves or insects. Many of the fossil insects will be small, difficult to discern with the naked eye. If you have the means, a good stereomicroscope is the best (hundreds to thousands of dollars). Failing that, a good jewelers loupe is essential ($30-$100). Failing that, a clip on macro lens for your smart phone can also be helpful ($15-$50). You can also take a picture with your macro lens and post it on the forum, I for one would be very interested to see what insects you uncover! 

• I found this Informative 1