Ammonite Identification

Charmcitybirds1

PHOTO-2021-08-07-12-38-39.thumb.jpg.b9d7729d5d476f0b87997d005c9af3b2.jpg

PHOTO-2021-08-07-12-40-24.jpg

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Forum  ,

I was trying to determine if this is a Pachydiscus or Smaller Parapuzosia ?

Thank You

Edited by Charmcitybirds1
Photos blocked text

Welcome to The Forum.  I split your post into its own topic.  

Do you have any additional information about the general location it was found?

@Charmcitybirds1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I bought it from a shop overseas and the shop said it was found in Rhiene Germany.

I am trying to figure out why the one side of it looks like one of the Pachydiscuses they are selling and the dealer told me it was a small Parapuzosia Seppenradensis

I actually don't have the ammonite  yet.

There was also 2 Pachydiscus Stobaei  , 1 the same size and same price as I recall and the small Parapuzosia I purchased and 1 a little larger.

Yesterday I noticed that there was all the same information of the smaller Pachydiscus, but the name looks as if it was changed to Parapuzosia Seppenradensis and was matked SOLD.

So I  may be wrong all together, but I am asking any and all experts I can find to find out what Species this Ammonite is.

Like I said I may very well be wrong, and hope I am , but I need to know for sure, I have attention to detail and notice small things like on the website.

Thank You everyone for your help

You would need some detailed images of the sutures to compare to published descriptions for species identification.  Maybe @Ludwigia could help if you can get better images of both ammonites.

That said, I removed the prohibited ad copy from your post.

When it arrives it may help with an ID to post a view of the whorl profile, looking at the aperture from the edge. These can change from a more discoid shape to one with a thicker, more rounded venter on mature whorls though.

When the sutures are that elaborately folded sometimes we trace a bold one with a pencil to distinguish it from those nearby. As John said, that is the only certain way to ID these. A similar fossil we find here in Texas is Eopachydiscus marcianus.

There may be widely variable species of Parapuzosia but P. daubreei, the only one shown in the "Treatise" has very distinct ribs missing from yours.

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah the missing Ribs to me seems like a red flag for it to be a Parapuzosia Seppenradensis, but I don't know if this being a smaller one, smaller being not HUGE like most of the species,

if they lack the Ribs the Huge ones have.  The dealer assured me it is a Parapuzosia Seppenradensis and is a an Ammonite Expert with a Huge selection of Fossils and is a world renown expert. So I will take his word for it. I did more research and he seems to be Top Notch and Legit

• 2 weeks later...

So I got more pictures of the Fossil now that I have it.

Let me know what you all think?

20210823_171247.jpg

20210823_170702.jpg

20210823_170634.jpg

20210823_170632.jpg

20210823_170630.jpg

20210823_170625.jpg

Maybe this is on help:

12.thumb.jpg.812d4f93d82b872ee8a5bb4e05a1fda9.jpgGuP_Heft_88_Seite_49-61_page-0004.thumb.jpg.b25b2c35290bf8167abb6f6d5d51cc0e.jpg8.jpg.5bf281c6c1067e41e5a47599eba977df.jpg

excerpt from GuP_Heft_88_Seite_49-61.pdf

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@abyssunder @Uncle Siphuncle @BobWill @JohnJ  This is helpful, so now I don't know what I have , I mean I bough from a reputable dealer who is an ammonite expert and has a famous Fossil shop, and would have no reason to sell me wrong ammonite, I have another expert who is German and when I ask about fossils I think are not correct he tells me the correct name, I look it up and he is right. I know another expert who has found other species of Parapuzosia without the visible Ribs on shell and down the whirl,  I mean  at a loss for words, I mean do I even have a Parapuzosia at all, yet alone a Parapuzosia Seppenradensis?  

@Charmcitybirds1

Don't rely solely on the opinions of others.  Your new photos are too blurry to hazard a guess on species.  I suggest you gather research papers and books that show and describe the features of Parapuzosia ammonites in Germany.  Then, you can make the detailed, in hand comparisons required for a confident ID.

7 minutes ago, Charmcitybirds1 said:

Ok , Thank You

Something you probably already realized is that the sutures of your ammonite are very complex.  That makes a photographic identification very unlikely, and it is the reason it is best done in hand.

Yeah that is true, do you have any resources on how to identify by the sutures, I have looked all over the internet for a guide on how to do so, and can't find anything