danu

Hey all! I took my little brother out fossil hunting on the lakeshore, I myself am no expert but it's been a lot of fun- we found a number of crinoid and brachiopod fossils and some cool rocks besides.

Theres a couple that stumped us though, I've been googling references but nothing looks similar to me. It looked to me like some kind of coral, the second one might just be a rock with some holes in it, but they appear in a fairly regular pattern that intrigued me. Any input is appreciated!

20210816_135319.jpg

20210816_135254.jpg

20210816_135333.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

First is the internal mold of a Rugose coral.

Second has an imprint of a rugose coral.

Third looks like a tabulate coral. 

• I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The first 2 pictures look like a type of coral for sure but the 3rd pic looks an Ordovician colony of Receptaculites, believed to be a skeleton-secreting algae. Though initially believed to be a type of coral or sea sponge it is now classified as an algae. 

• I Agree 1

I agree with @Fossildude19, the third picture looks like a coral. @lulufresh, generally, Receptaculites have small diamond-shaped plates, that are arranged in a double spiral. 

I don't know whether or not it is a tabulate coral, @TqB would probably know. 

Nice find, @danu:)

Regards, 

Asher

• Thank You 2
  • I Agree 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

As Mainefossils said, recepticulitids have diamond-shaped plates arranged in a double spiral.  However, the plates are on the upper and lower surface, connected top to bottom by a column with a circular cross section.  If the surface is worn enough to remove the diamond-shaped plates, you will see a series of circular structures.  However, they will still preserve the very regular spiral arrangement, which we don't see in the fossil in photo 3.  For this reason I do not think it is a recepticulitid.

I do think it is a coral.  More specifically, this sort of preservation is often seen in corals with a "bushy" (phaceloid) growth form where each individual corallite is a separate tube.  A good example would be Syringopora, though there are many others.  Often these corals are preserved with the matrix as a solid mass, and the corallites as hollow tubes in which the calcitic coral skeleton has dissolved. 

Don

• I found this Informative 2

5 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Very nice Heliolites!  Is that one of yours?

Don

Sorry, deleted it! Here it is again, Heliolites porosus. Yes, one of mine, but from Morocco. 

A possible contender, if no. 3 is a body fossil rather than mould.

IMG_1991.jpeg

IMG_1992.thumb.jpeg.6a770fb28c1af811eb29797e6245e11f.jpeg

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

Tarquin