Any ideas

Ttevorlikes83

Where and what formation would help immensely. Next comment will probably be a suggestion for giving the size.

• I Agree 1

Here @Tidgy's Dad, the picture below shows the specimen with scale. 

Regards, 

Asher 

971390387_ScreenShot2021-08-17at10_58_10AM.jpg.4fd41cef30ad576b06576db2ff4e6fa1.jpg

• Thank You 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

12 hours ago, Mainefossils said:

Here @Tidgy's Dad, the picture below shows the specimen with scale. 

Regards, 

Asher 

971390387_ScreenShot2021-08-17at10_58_10AM.jpg.4fd41cef30ad576b06576db2ff4e6fa1.jpg

11 hours ago, Plax said:

mineral then

Just asking cause im all new to this trying to learn what i can an seems like everyone is pretty knowledgeable an very new to it thanks for your help 

You're welcome. No fossils in Cherokee unless someone put them there as in a commercial entertainment screening/panning situation.

• I found this Informative 1

On 8/18/2021 at 10:09 AM, Plax said:

You're welcome. No fossils in Cherokee unless someone put them there as in a commercial entertainment screening/panning situation.

Hey Don, Hello! So I'm hijacking Ttevorlikes83 thread as I dont have anything to add about his interesting specimen other than I wish I knew what kind of mineral it is, but its seems semi relevant so I'll continue.

I got a smile when you mentioned commercial entertainment as a possible fossil source in this area and I can relate--back in the early 70's when we were in Cherokee on vacation and I was looking at rocks and coming up dry for fossils----at the time I didnt understand much about fossils/geology/metamorphic rocks and realize that they probably didnt come from there.  So here it is 50+ years later and I'm searching my garage because of this thread for some "Cherokee" fossils that I bought from someone in a local rock shop who said they came from a "local creek".

So my question to you is this....I never really put two and two together that the label that says brachs Cherokee NC was wrong as to location. Since that is actually a metamorphic zone and not fossiliferous would you possibly recognize any  NC or somewhat nearby locale that these could possibly have even come from...I have no provenance other than the verbal "from Cherokee" and that is obviously wrong...So we've got light to dark gray limestone with some inverts...I wont be hurt by hearing I have another fossil with no confirmed provenance---I have too many of these... @Plax

This will help as I'm working on getting rid of bunch of this stuff and will be selling/giving away/shipping out as I need my garage back! LOL. 

1081088614_Cherokeebrachandbryozoan.thumb.jpg.dac2e866dd3a361ca5a7ea3dabf82468.jpg1652062388_Cherokeebrach.thumb.jpg.57905102e075ac5d78488e088b2458ee.jpg

Thanks! 

Regards, Chris 

Edited by Plantguy
quick edit--add note

2 hours ago, Plantguy said:

I got a smile when you mentioned commercial entertainment as a possible fossil source in this area and I can relate--back in the early 70's when we were in Cherokee on vacation and I was looking at rocks and coming up dry for fossils----at the time I didnt understand much about fossils/geology/metamorphic rocks and realize that they probably didnt come from there.  So here it is 50+ years later and I'm searching my garage because of this thread for some "Cherokee" fossils that I bought from someone in a local rock shop who said they came from a "local creek".

I've seen Moroccan shark teeth and Brazilian amethyst in these family mining sluice pits in Western NC. Fun for the kids but probably causes arguments later in life when they are certain that their prized finds came from NC.

• Thank You 1

The brachiopods look like typical Cincinnati area (big area, includes a chunk of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana) Upper Ordovician fossils.  No way to narrow it down to a specific outcrop unfortunately.

Don

• Thank You 1