Pliosaur? From Morocco

Per Christian

Do you have any locality, age and formation?  You did say unsure.  Any side photos where it attaches to the matrix?  Looks like a composite in the middle of the crown.

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Do you have any locality, Age and Formation?  You did say unsure.  Any side photos where it attaches to the matrix?  Looks like a composite in the middle of the crown.

Asfla Goulmima Morroco
Cretaceoud turonien. This i got from the seller. Here's another image too, and on it, it looks a bit fishy i think. I'll request close up of where it attaches to the matrix

FB_IMG_1629223168648.jpg

Thats great, it the marine area.  Ill leave the ID to those more knowledgeable but would suggest a closeup of the side and middle area that looks composited.

Screenshot_20210817-110921_Drive.thumb.jpg.bfc04f59ea63a2f35758f928c61b0b07.jpg

Early Turonian ammonites from Goulmima, southern Morocco

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Thats great, it the marine area.  Ill leave the ID to those more knowledgeable but would suggest a closeup of the side and middle area that looks composited.

Screenshot_20210817-110921_Drive.thumb.jpg.bfc04f59ea63a2f35758f928c61b0b07.jpg

Early Turonian ammonites from Goulmima, southern Morocco

Thanks! Yeah i requested more pictures, hopefully I'll get them. When i do I'll post them here

Preservation and matrix are indeed consistent with Goulmima. And while the preparation is horrible on this (as with the other teeth before), I think this is definitely a contender for pliosaur. For one, I haven't ever seen such a robust root come out of Goulmima before. For another, the striations running the full apicobasal height of the tooth is also much more in-line with local pliosaurs rather than polycotylids or Libonectes morgani. Seeing as how uncommon this tooth morphology is, I have no doubt that tooth and root parts belong together. But I do think the tip has been glued back wrongly after it broke off. It's been twisted 90 degrees from what it should be, which is the bulbous part of the root - thus pointing towards the measuring tape. Better pictures of ornamentation, the side and the break would be useful, but I doubt they'll clear up much more seeing as how much is obscured by the glue and bad prep-job... As such, this tooth could greatly benefit from additional prep-work, as this is sure to make it come out better. All the same, extremely rare to find a rooted pliosaur like this...

• I found this Informative 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

A slight S shape to teeth in pliosaur's does occur in some species so repair may not be incorrect.

The tooth does look like pliosaur from photos. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

A slight S shape to teeth in pliosaur's does occur in some species so repair may not be incorrect.

The tooth does look like pliosaur from photos. 

Do you have any examples? Because I don't think I've seen any like that before... And in that I'm assuming you don't mean like in your avatar either, right? That is, although I can imagine seeing an S-curve in that as well, the crown curves one way, the root another. But I take it that's not what you mean... The only teeth that I've seen that exhibit such a curve are fish teeth. So I would be very interested to learn about this specific morphology in plesiosaurs...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

So I just bumped into this beautiful brachauchenine pliosaur tooth from Goulmima on Instagram, and thought I'd share for comparison. It also shows the correct curvature for these teeth :)

978906655_BrachaucheninepliosaurrootedtoothGoulmima01.thumb.jpg.b89c1fd86a3e8b3575fb74656f84bf1d.jpg435399719_BrachaucheninepliosaurrootedtoothGoulmima02.thumb.jpg.a6b5126d62560712c1365d251104b6b1.jpg1285490281_BrachaucheninepliosaurrootedtoothGoulmima03.thumb.jpg.ab56aebd11ea029a266dfe3d8411ec46.jpg1744023964_BrachaucheninepliosaurrootedtoothGoulmima04.thumb.jpg.6e8955374ee93a68cb08f1f6d869e1b8.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

20 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

So I just bumped into this beautiful brachauchenine pliosaur tooth from Goulmima on Instagram, and thought I'd share for comparison. It also shows the correct curvature for these teeth :)

978906655_BrachaucheninepliosaurrootedtoothGoulmima01.thumb.jpg.b89c1fd86a3e8b3575fb74656f84bf1d.jpg435399719_BrachaucheninepliosaurrootedtoothGoulmima02.thumb.jpg.a6b5126d62560712c1365d251104b6b1.jpg1285490281_BrachaucheninepliosaurrootedtoothGoulmima03.thumb.jpg.ab56aebd11ea029a266dfe3d8411ec46.jpg1744023964_BrachaucheninepliosaurrootedtoothGoulmima04.thumb.jpg.6e8955374ee93a68cb08f1f6d869e1b8.jpg

That's a bit strange they glued it back wrongly.. but awesome help here. Seems I've found my first pliosaur tooth then, and it's all thanks to you guys. This forum is amazing, I can't believe it's all free

• Enjoyed 1

22 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I'm assuming you don't mean like in your avatar either,

Yes the avatar does have a slight but noticeable S curve at the top of the tooth and does belong to pliosaur family being a kronosaurus queenlandicus tooth.

• 6 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 2:50 PM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

การเก็บรักษาและเมทริกซ์นั้นสอดคล้องกับ Goulmima อย่างแท้จริง และในขณะที่การเตรียมการนี้แย่มาก (เช่นเดียวกับฟันซี่อื่นๆ ก่อนหน้านี้ ) ฉันคิดว่านี่เป็นคู่แข่งของ pliosaur อย่างแน่นอน ประการหนึ่ง ฉันไม่เคยเห็นรากที่แข็งแกร่งเช่นนี้ออกมาจาก Goulmima มาก่อน อีกประการหนึ่ง รอยแยกที่วิ่งตามความสูงของฟันที่ปลาย apicobasal ก็สอดคล้องกับ pliosaurs ในท้องถิ่นมากกว่า polycotylids หรือLibonectes morgani. เมื่อเห็นว่ารูปร่างของฟันนี้ไม่ธรรมดา ฉันไม่สงสัยเลยว่าส่วนของฟันและรากจะอยู่ด้วยกัน แต่ฉันคิดว่าปลายทิปติดกาวผิดหลังจากที่หักไปแล้ว มันถูกบิดไป 90 องศาจากที่ควรจะเป็น ซึ่งเป็นส่วนโป่งของโคน - จึงชี้ไปที่เทปวัด ภาพการตกแต่ง ด้านข้าง และรอยแยกที่ดีขึ้นน่าจะเป็นประโยชน์ แต่ผมสงสัยว่าภาพเหล่านั้นจะชัดเจนขึ้นมากเมื่อเห็นว่ากาวและการเตรียมงานไม่ดีบดบังมากน้อยเพียงใด... ดังนั้น ฟันนี้จะได้รับประโยชน์อย่างมากจาก การเตรียมงานเพิ่มเติม เพราะมันจะทำให้งานออกมาดียิ่งขึ้นอย่างแน่นอน เหมือนกัน หายากมากที่จะพบพลีซอรัสที่รูตแบบนี้...

Very good brother

Hi,

When you make a quote, you have to remove the translator because it keeps the quoted text in your language (click on the small cross in the top right). Then you just hand over the translator’s function.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg