Trilobite Prep Comparison

NoahW24

What a difference prep can make! I was recently sent a picture from back home of my first trilobite fossil, received as a childhood gift. This picture really drove home for me how much detail can be lost in prep, and how being able to really look into a pair of 400,000,000 year old eyes is such an incredible experience. 

It’s kind of a bummer to think of how many lovely critters get scraped away for the sake of quick sale- much admiration for fossil preppers. I like to think that this one was a beginner’s first shot, and that they have gone in to liberate many more bugs from the limestone with dignity and grace.

Pic: what I thought Crotacephalina looked like vs what it does…

C8C13FFD-275A-4571-8650-B8F80A01487D.jpeg

D95C0B12-D07D-4F94-8F5C-8C653118DBF7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I sometimes see pieces I worked on as a kid and have similar feelings, but without the attempt to prepare in the first place, I wouldn't have the skills I have today.

One of my professors often said:

'Fossils aren't rare, people looking for and collecting them are.'  I think similar can be said of preparators.  All attempts at prep are good ones and should be encouraged.  

• Enjoyed 3

Just now, ParkerPaleo said:

I sometimes see pieces I worked on as a kid and have similar feelings, but without the attempt to prepare in the first place, I wouldn't have the skills I have today.

One of my professors often said:

'Fossils aren't rare, people looking for and collecting them are.'  I think similar can be said of preparators.  All attempts at prep are good ones and should be encouraged.  

This is a great sentiment- I think I'm getting into my own head a little too much with my first weekend fossil hunting trip planned out to gather some critters to try to prep this winter... Too many worries about trying to do them justice :trilowalk: 

At least you know a good place to ask for prep advice!  There are always lots of opinions here to be collected.

When you start to prep, just accept that mistakes will be made.  Learn from them, don't commit them again if possible.  Move on to the next piece.  Given enough time and practice, you'll be a master.  If you do have something that you think will be amazing, work on other lesser material first.  

• Thank You 1