Turtle Head Fossil

Visero

100% NOT a "turtle head".  I cant tell from your pics whether this is just a rock or maybe a tumbled chunk of unidentifiable fossil bone.  I do see a few features that say "maybe" bone.

• I Agree 4

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Agreed.  This is not a turtle head fossil.  Better focused images could help determine if it is anything other than an interesting stone with differential weathering.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with the others, I think that this is a rock. This occurs because of pareidolia, the tendency of the mind to see something significant out of random shapes. My personal pareidolia sees a blastoid. ;) I do think, though, that there is a possibility of a brachiopod cross section (third photo), but better focused images would help. Happy hunting!

Regards,

Asher 

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

Thank you all for your replies,I apologize for jumping to the turtle head conclusion. I very much appreciate the information and knowledge you all share. I will be posting another in a few minutes that I would appreciate any opinions on.

Thanks again!

-CJS

• Enjoyed 2

No apologies necessary.  BTW here is what a Cretaceous turtle skill looks like from Montana.  They do take several different shapes, this is one morph.

Stygio Skull T6.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Well, just think of a beach. On most beaches you will find a lot of shells before you encounter any bone, and keeping in mind that most vertebrates have only one head but lots of ribs, vertebrae etc. finding skulls is a relatively rare thing. It does happen of course. Looking at the details of whatever skull-like thing you have is the next step.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley