Mystery Specimen ID

T Stolberger

I found a fossil fragment on site the other day unlike anything I have ever come across before. Some ideas that have been suggested by colleagues include a bone fragment, petrified wood, or a bryozoan colony. The fragment is approximately 2.5 cm long and half a cm wide, is Pliocene in age, and comes from the Kaawa Formation for anyone who knows their New Zealand stratigraphy well. 

Im not looking for an ID as such, more just a general indication of what I'm dealing with from anyone else who has come across something similar.

Many thanks!

received_201075705380051.jpeg

received_221611889907805.jpeg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4495320025_e321896729_m.jpg 

This was posted for ID by @Tony Eaton on 4/5/2010. It looks similar to your specimen. Not sure of the final ID but worth reading the responses. Good luck with an ID.

Mike

The picture is there until I save my post. sorry the picture  doesn't show up.  

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • I found this Informative 1

4495320025_e321896729_m.jpg.6ee5ef49becd4c9b5c14803ecb345506.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 8/21/2021 at 11:16 PM, minnbuckeye said:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4495320025_e321896729_m.jpg 

This was posted for ID by @Tony Eaton on 4/5/2010. It looks similar to your specimen. Not sure of the final ID but worth reading the responses. Good luck with an ID.

Mike

The picture is there until I save my post. sorry the picture  doesn't show up.  

Thanks for sharing that. My specimen seems to share a lot in common with the Chimaeriform plates shown in this post and in others, and is probably what this is. The shape of mine has just been throwing me off a bit, I've been stuggling to find images of any other chimaeriform plates that are long and cylindrical like my own.