Please ID this odd little ball of fossils from Vancouver Island, BC Canada.

Nomayne

My mom picked up this oddity of a rock at the mouth of Chemainus River, one Vancouver Island  BC. The River carves away the surrounding sedimentary hills. Is this a part of bivalves or ammonites???

2F670D4F-244F-4BAA-AAD2-B2C23884D510.jpeg

0A82BF32-0FE7-45AA-8E47-44C6C7199F15.jpeg

8F65702A-CD0C-4994-92A0-19E3C1A7A760.jpeg

4121C22B-64EE-4A31-A4B8-2831F072F07D.jpeg

7F6E30DA-D8BD-4A3D-9D96-9AAC87519F73.jpeg

62A2E1A3-1C54-4645-9FD5-75485A8B6C53.jpeg

A078E616-7406-4201-A64F-D9F363056459.jpeg

2616F1AB-14D1-46EE-84CE-FD3807D587B4.jpeg

Edited by Nomayne
Spelling and title

• Nomayne changed the title to Please ID this odd little ball of fossils from Vancouver Island, BC Canada.
25 minutes ago, Nomayne said:

Is this a part of

:headscratch:Ya. I think it's part of. But what ? Just part of is as far as I get. :zzzzscratchchin:

Please, no one take me too seriously here. I'm going to just throw out a concept for illustration. It may not be well applied.

Early Jurassic ? Based on the relatively simple (unornamented) shell form.  

On 8/24/2021 at 5:32 PM, fossisle said:

Looks to me like a worn Bostrychoceras heteromorph ammonite in concretion

I'm always late to the party...

Can you tell me what about it makes it a Bostrychoceras as opposed to Glyptoxoceras, Rick? For years I've been calling these smaller/finer-ribbed ones Glyptoxoceras, but then again Jim Haggart posited Bostrychoceras sp. for a specimen I showed him of the kind that whorls around in a couple of broad circles, so maybe that's it, but I gather the taxonomy is not clearly understood.

On 8/27/2021 at 2:02 AM, Wrangellian said:

I'm always late to the party...

Can you tell me what about it makes it a Bostrychoceras as opposed to Glyptoxoceras, Rick? For years I've been calling these smaller/finer-ribbed ones Glyptoxoceras, but then again Jim Haggart posited Bostrychoceras sp. for a specimen I showed him of the kind that whorls around in a couple of broad circles, so maybe that's it, but I gather the taxonomy is not clearly understood.

Just my opinion based on the first 2 photos, ribbing doesnt look that fine and the whorl goes on a different plane than Glyptoxoceras. Then again it could be Ainoceras.

Cephalopods rule!!

I wasn't familiar with Ainoceras but the pics I see in an image search look nothing like this, to me, and I've never found any like it (have you?).

Not sure what you mean about the whorl going on a different plane - it looks flat (not including the other portions visible which could be broken/displaced pieces, no?)

Here's a couple pieces I found a little upstream from there they were... I think theirs is the same as this. But what are these, and are the two pieces the same (marcoconch/microconch?) or different species?

2 ammos.jpg