Appalachia: Merchantville Fm (Santonian-Campanian) new Hadrosaurids and return of Dryptosauridae

AlexSciChannel

AlexSciChannel

A new paper by Chase Brownstein published today describes two new taxa from the Merchantville Formation of Delaware and New Jersey. A new tyrannosauroid of which metatarsal material was previously described here: https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.4123 

this time a new recovered vert was collected from the same locality likely belonging to the same individual. This thorough analysis of metatarsalian material has given the prescedent to return the tyrannosaur family known as Dryptosauridae which includes Dryptosaurus aquilunguis and the Merchantville taxon.

Also described is a new Hadrosaurid material adult limb bones and dentary as well as juvenile material. This is separate from Ornithotarsus immanis which the paper identifies as nonsynonymous from H. foulkii yet indeterminate.

rsos210127f01.gif.f5ad68c128dfaed2fce009561466c29f.gif

rsos210127f09.thumb.jpg.9e95cb4e3e0f0e0a906e8a57621f6b93.jpg

P.S. Also I don't know how to edit the typo in the title so if someone could kindly tell me how and if I can't can someone with the power do so?

• I found this Informative 2
  • FossilDAWG changed the title to Appalachia: Merchantville Fm (Santonian-Campanian) new Hadrosaurids and return of Dryptosauridae
  • 3 weeks later...

This paper actually doesn't erect a binomial for YPM VPPU.021795 or the hadrosaurid specimens from the Merchantville Formation in the collections of the Yale Peabody Museum.

AlexSciChannel
2 minutes ago, DD1991 said:

This paper actually doesn't erect a binomial for YPM VPPU.021795 or the hadrosaurid specimens from the Merchantville Formation in the collections of the Yale Peabody Museum.

Yep. Never said it did. Just that it identified them as new taxa. The paper states the Dryptosaurid material is enough to name a new binomial but takes a conservative conclusion.