Another Sanity Crab (Prep diary)

6ix

We are in country wide lockdown again and after a week of doing too longer days working I have decided to do another "sanity crab".

The point is to force me to take breaks while working from home.  So I cleaned the prep station from all my "nibblers" and will dedicate my time to this one.

And straight off the bat its going to test me - its a mudder - not solid stone, and the exo is powder...  Looks like a Tumido so far...

20210826_185939 (Large).jpg

20210826_154935 (Large).jpg

20210826_190601 (Large).jpg

20210826_191537 (Large).jpg

20210826_192608 (Large).jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 6

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Another Sanity Prep (Prep diary)

Whoa,,,  definitely looks like soft rock and soft shell material.  Not much rock to remove though.  Thats always a plus.  Hope you get your batteries recharged while doing this.  Looking forward to seeing the end results.

RB

I see the nail polish bottles and I’m guessing Paraloid is a big part of this prep. In your situation, I would probably have more trouble getting back to work from the prep than I would in taking breaks from work to do the prep. 

Thanks guys, yeah that Paraloid is getting some good use - it feels like I spend as much time applying it as I do exposing.  I have two "mixes" in the nail polish bottles - one is 4 hunks and the other 8, so thick and thin mixes.

Honestly the shell is soft enough at this point to scratch with a fingernail.  Its going to be an interesting beastie.  I suspect it will get harder the deeper we go (at least most of the other ones I've done did that - but some were just soft all the way.)

1775310680_20210827_122958(Large).thumb.jpg.426617e442b7b61eea6320a6afc8f34f.jpg

189985053_20210827_122943(Large).thumb.jpg.d39752dd3d7f7bf9d5ad4b63bff6ccc7.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Its just used, empied and cleaned nail polish jars with acetone and an acrylic? Clear paraloid it glues everything together but can be removed with acetone if necessary for diagnostics.

And im brushing it on every newly exposed mm of shell, let the super thin mixture soak in then do it a few more times before continuing.

You can see there are still hunks of shell missing, some blew off under the scribe when the concretion separated.

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

'scuse my ignorance, but what effect does the nail polish have and where do you apply it?

It makes him feel pretty and he applies it to his fingernails and toenails. :default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, 6ix said:

See how it let go on the right?

Ive had several that were sticky on top and then a change in attitude as you start going down the sides.   Easy preppin is right around the corner.  Good luck

RB

15 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It makes him feel pretty and he applies it to his fingernails and toenails. :default_rofl:

Lol i do have some of the daughters sparkly fingernail polish wearing off from a black fingernail from squashing my finged with a socket wrench...

• Enjoyed 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Another Sanity Crab (Prep diary)
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, 2 mins with scribe, then 2 mins waiting for the glue to dry..

I'm being stubborn, this would normally be thrown on my driveway as gravel.

20210925_123558.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

My mum got the big C, her neighbours have been looking after her. They can buy anything they want, so i cant just give them a bottle of wine, im going to give them something special.

Cant wait to finish it

20210925_140952.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

I dunno if you guys have ever seen an Tumo like this... its like powder as I tried to explain...

Turn your volume down.

Edited by 6ix
  • Enjoyed 1

Hey 6ix, as bad as this crab is, and ive had some of these myself, once its done and the eye can see the entire crab it will actually look better.  Almost everyone will love this crab.  Good luck

RB

Thanks RJB - you have always helped pop my motivation up when I needed it.

I am honestly spending as much time gluing as scribing at the moment.

• Thank You 1

Im at that fun stage now.. where you start getting artistic. After realising im giving it away, im being less critical and just enjoying the prep.

20211001_222712.jpg

20211001_222655.jpg

20211001_222647.jpg

• Enjoyed 4