Collection sites on the Delmarva peninsula?

BlastCat

I want to get into collecting fossils but can't seem to find anywhere to go, is there any places on the Delmarva peninsula where I can collect fossils?

The east coast has tons of shark teeth, just looking on the coast and you can find fossil teeth from several places. Both sides of the penninsula (although sort of an island since the back creek cuts it off from the mainland) have fossils. Someone who lives near there may be able to recommend a certain area of the Chesapeake bay or the ocean.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

It might be nice if you did an introduction  post and try to get to know us a bit. :)

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It might be nice if you did an introduction  post and try to get to now us a bit. :)

I sure will, thanks!

• Enjoyed 1

On 8/26/2021 at 5:45 PM, BlastCat said:

I want to get into collecting fossils but can't seem to find anywhere to go, is there any places on the Delmarva peninsula where I can collect fossils?

The only site I know that has anything and is accessible is Elk Neck State Park in Maryland, which is towards the northern end of Chesapeake Bay. There's some Cretaceous stuff there, mostly from the Potomac Group AFAIK. The C&D Canal in Delaware has some marine Cretaceous sites but from what I've heard over the years it sounds like most of the sites are off limits due to over collecting, erosion, and plant growth. If you have a boat there's some cliffs along the Sassafras River that might be worth looking into, as well as the Choptank River. One time many years ago I found some Pleistocene shells near Ocean City when on vacation, but you probably can't access that site. 

The Eastern Shore/Delmarva doesn't have as much fossils as the Western Shore, unfortunately. Your best bet is still going to sites near Williamsburg, Westmoreland, or Calvert Cliffs.  

Forgot to say I don't know about if you're allowed to collect fossils at Elk Neck. Purse, Flag Ponds, and Calvert Cliffs all allow it, but it may be different at Elk Neck. Make sure to bring a camera then, so at least you can take pictures. 

Edited by EMP