Delicate Fossil Preservation

noahc0d

Hi everyone! I have this middle section of a trilobite from the south pit at Arkona, but it’s very fragile. I’ve already lost some of it, so I’m looking for tips to keep it safe. 
4B0726F6-971E-49F3-A956-666EB696241A.thumb.jpeg.54f67b0ae559e0c8132ebb636b9b9ed8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

If you have any stabilizers like Butvar or Paraloid, you can use one of those drop dispenser bottles (just make sure it's not made of anything that will melt in acetone) and carefully apply it. I know some delicate material and matrix do not enjoy a full acetone bath and will crumble so these are very useful for things that will otherwise turn to mush. Probably use a small brush and have some pure acetone on the side as well to make sure it doesn't just pool in one spot and leave shiny spots of whatever you used to stabilize it.

butvarbottle.png.9c34014dcd9a6483f5d406c3fdca62d9.png

• I found this Informative 2

Nice trilobite, @noahc0d! If you want, I can PM you a site where you can get this plastic resin cheapest (as far as I know). Happy hunting! 

Regards, 

Asher

Edited by Mainefossils
  • I found this Informative 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

1 hour ago, Mainefossils said:

Nice trilobite, @noahc0d! If you want, I can PM you a site where you can get this plastic resin cheapest. Happy hunting! 

Regards, 

Asher

Hey, not to jump in out of place, but would you be willing to PM me that link as well?

• 2 weeks later...

I only did proper fossil prep twice so I don't think I can give any reliable advice but I will say that this fossil is very nice even without preparation  and if you are not using it for research maybe you should keep it as it is, depends how fragile it is and what you personally prefer obviously.