PaleoOrdo

I wonder if this fossile in a shale is a graptolite or a nautiloid. The length is about 3cm, age middle ordovician, in the Elnes formation. The place has many graptolites.

Pict. 1

1623607620_NAUTILOIDORGRAPTOLITESLFJ.thumb.jpg.275c426c26348e48d9f71ec9e583681e.jpg

Pict. 2

1056213383_NAUTILOIDORGRAPTOLITESLFJB.thumb.jpg.81565cb93625cb535ca88521318b8728.jpg

I also found this 1,5 cm long specimen, which seems to be a nautiloid?

1377239671_NAUTILSLBD.thumb.jpg.461da288d77d27742116b14f354503f7.jpg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Nautiloid or graptolite?

Doesn't look very much like a graptolite to me. Whether it's a cephalopod, I don't know, the pictures are not very clear.

From what I’m reading, the graptos in that formation are dendritic. Too long for a nautiloid methinks.

This looks to be a crinoid column to my eye.

• I Agree 2

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

Likely looked much like a tiny string of pearls before it was exposed to weathering. I had something very similar ID last spring, I think it was.

The 3 cm length is not an issue for an orthocone nautiloid.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

From what I’m reading, the graptos in that formation are dendritic. Too long for a nautiloid methinks.

In the Elnes formation (Middle Ordovician) we can find some dendrites, but not only dendrites. And a crionoid stem should not be tapering in the end? Nautiloid is possible but I was thinking of reteograptus graptolite.

Edited by PaleoOrdo

1 hour ago, PaleoOrdo said:

In the Elnes formation (Middle Ordovician) we can find some dendrites, but not only dendrites. And a crionoid stem should not be tapering in the end? Nautiloid is possible but I was thinking of reteograptus graptolite.

Agreed. To my eye I interpreted the taper as a bend, down from the fracture surface. A bit of prep work would expose if it is a true tapered tip or a downward columnar bend. The centerline void/line is my indicator, however I am by no means an expert.

The speciemen is not well preserved, but I managed to focus the shape of a part well enough to see the thekae of a graptolite:

ORGRAPTOLI.jpg.979891b373b6503c8aa377afcaf052a9.jpg

3 hours ago, PaleoOrdo said:

. And a crionoid stem should not be tapering in the end?

I flat out disagree with the idea entirely. I just don't see a graptolite, or a nautiloid. The geometry is just wrong.

It’s the central/core line channel that makes me lean to a crinoid column. It’s obvious and continuous. I see similar if not identical fossils in numerous formations so often I don’t collect them anymore.

12 hours ago, PaleoOrdo said:

Which geometrical attributes you think of?

You can just about name them all. I can see the concept perhaps, but it looks like a badly weathered much thicker/denser body/mold fossil to me. The center being a narrow lumen. They were tiny in the ones I find.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 4:54 PM, PaleoOrdo said:

There are one Decorah Ordovician cephalopod that looks very similar to crinoid at first glace and can fools the eyes. I don't have any immediate accessible pics. Its siphon often disappear along with its outer shell when fossilized at least for me. Your are much better preserved. 

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Packy said:

Really need a more detailed  photo

I agree, and I tryed take several pictures and sharpen the focus, but the fossil is unfortunately inherently unclear.

2 hours ago, Tetradium said:

There are one Decorah Ordovician cephalopod that looks very similar to crinoid at first glace and can fools the eyes.

Yes, sometimes it is difficult see the difference. If anybody found a cephalopod which is similar with many chambers and of a similar size, I would be grateful see a picture of it for comparison. Thanks a lot for your opinions.

Edited by PaleoOrdo

Did you try a tripod? If ising a camera set the iso at 80 and use the tripod and the 2 second timer. Another member taught me that and it works really well. Packy