About the length of a pinky finger

found2turnout

Approximately the length of my pinky finger. Found amongst nothing other resembling it near banks of arkansas River. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

20210827_162439.jpg

The length of a pinky finger can vary a lot. Try using a ruler or some other universal scale.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

for those who live outside the USA, the coin is about 19 mm across.

I am guessing wildly but could this be some sort of fossilized sponge?

• Thank You 1

Sorry, but coins are still a bad measure, it is an international forum and many members like me, we do not know what currency it is, or how big it may be. Centimeters, inches?
It would also be convenient to know the period to which it belongs or where it was found.
The more information you give us, the better help you can get.
Thanks.

• I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, jpc said:

for those who live outside the USA, the coin is about 19 mm across.

I am guessing wildly but could this be some sort of fossilized sponge?

you caught me writing while you uploaded the comment ...:rolleyes:

Yes, a lot of us who maybe able to help are not from the USA.   

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Can you give us a county where this was found? There are geological maps online which will at least allow us to get an idea of what age the exposures are where you found this item. That can help to narrow down the possibilities. Also, if you can locate a ruler of some sort, a photo with this as a scale will help folks have a better idea of the size of this.

My vote (unencumbered by the thought process) is that this might be a geological oddity and not biological in origin. It has a vibe about it that seems to resemble textured sandy mud that has a wavy texture like this when it is near running water. These muddy ripples are often preserved geologically in interesting layers that hint at an environment long long ago.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mud+ripples&&tbm=isch

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

Hate to be the voice of reason, but I see only a very interesting geologic.

given the river location (stuff can wash in from anywhere/be transplanted with rip-rap etc.) and amount of weathering, I honestly see no indication of a fossil from the photos.

• I Agree 2

I found it less than a quarter mile from the arkansas river, about 100 yards from the state Capitol in little rock, pulaski county, arkansas. Several acres have recently been excavated literally above the railroad track. Not north of tracks, but a hillside where the tracks are below.  It is prime real estate now on the market, here in downtown little rock. Two inches long, from Apex to base. Here is a photo of reverse side. Thank you. I hope to post some other pics of some of the truly interesting things that have been churned up with the earth.

20210828_113308.jpg