NE KS | KS River | Mineralized Mystery

FogOfGrass

Found in the NE Kansas River gravel. 

Completely solid in a jasper’ish looking stone. 

Clueless. 

D2A624A9-79BF-4921-B13C-9AE5513BE686.jpeg

3CF8C7DC-6E54-4D5B-92E7-E5D916FEA5E7.jpeg

9B2FF195-2E0B-4A41-927A-CAAF147E461C.jpeg

2403428E-F528-44BC-BB29-D5272AE0EF07.jpeg

78D966A5-9770-40A5-9C98-F0FF8F0FD3F1.jpeg

3A2B4150-4970-4A4A-816F-F717A62864B0.jpeg

DF3F12EE-1897-41AC-ACE7-10195D04F065.jpeg

D8BF349A-E6FF-40F7-901B-307EC834B1B6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

I would suggest a piece of hardground with oyster debris.

I agree!

• I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you all for the input. I have found other Pseudoperna congesta clusters outside of river hunting and typically in this area they are within the chalky limestone. This is the first solid hard specimen I have seen and pulled from the gravels. Guessing it came from up north (Great Lakes?) Or if it is on an oyster bed would that explain the jasper appearance?  I am in erratic land, literally walking the melt flow edge. Always makes it fun (and confusing) to see what’s traveled and I like the challenge of trying to figure out from where. 

Thanks again 

1 minute ago, LabRatKing said:

Heavily weathered Pelycipods methinks…dang autocorrect won’t let me spell it properly.

Autocorrect can be a nightmare on these boards! Thanks for chiming in. 

1 minute ago, FogOfGrass said:

Autocorrect can be a nightmare on these boards! Thanks for chiming in. 

Yeah, it’s more an IPhone thing as I’m out in the field waiting on my hammer drill to charge back up and the connection is sketchy out here!

3 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Heavily weathered Pelycipods methinks…dang autocorrect won’t let me spell it properly.

Have I missed something ? I've seen this term in use lately. Don't I remember being reminded that it is now actually obsolete, in favor of bivalve.

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Have I missed something ? I've seen this term in use lately. Don't I remember being reminded that it is now actually obsolete, in favor of bivalve.

Likely is obsolete, just like me. I still see it being used for extant oyster like and barnacle like critters strangely enough.

• Enjoyed 1

7 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Here’s one still in the substrate from that area:

E18390F4-9FB8-432F-BCB7-8502D39F6C5D.jpeg

Yes! This is what I usually come across around here and North central KS. Some of the odd curves and coloring on the posted piece threw me. Parts looked clumped while other areas looked formed like an enamel would do. Your brain can make your eyes can see what you want I guess. 

The oyster point makes sense with the scallops creating that tooth curve feel. 

Edited by FogOfGrass

There is a great site for these in situ on the Saline river at the C2T ranch. Great camping and they are super rockhound friendly if you’d like to try your hand. There’s other great stuff there too. Somewhere on here I have a trip report of the area from last April 

whatever these guys are, they love to encrust bivalves the size of a softball. I’ve got one I’ve been slowly prepping for months that is the sive of a cantaloupe!

Edited by LabRatKing

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

There is a great site for these in situ on the Saline river at the C2T ranch. Great camping and they are super rockhound friendly if you’d like to try your hand. There’s other great stuff there too. Somewhere on here I have a trip report of the area from last April 

whatever these guys are, they love to encrust bivalves the size of a softball. I’ve got one I’ve been slowly prepping for months that is the sive of a cantaloupe!

Thanks for the tip! I really would like to spend more time out west. I dead end around Central of the state as far as trudge around contacts go. With the exception of castle rock and those type of places. 

I’ll post some things from the Lebo area soon you may find of interest if you’re a shell man!

2 minutes ago, FogOfGrass said:

Thanks for the tip! I really would like to spend more time out west. I dead end around Central of the state as far as trudge around contacts go. With the exception of castle rock and those type of places. 

I’ll post some things from the Lebo area soon you may find of interest if you’re a shell man!

I’ll be heading down that way next month when the humidity drops. You are more than welcome to join me.

have a list of sites I plan to hit in north central and central Kansas. It’s an easy road trip for me.

10 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

I’ll be heading down that way next month when the humidity drops. You are more than welcome to join me.

have a list of sites I plan to hit in north central and central Kansas. It’s an easy road trip for me.

Thank you for the invite. I would love to take you up on that but my longer haul outing times are limited due to my wonderful kids. If they weren’t so wonderful I’d be going in an instant!

keep me in mind for other things, you never know when they may start going downhill (or I have a an open window)

Once the weather breaks and the poison ivy starts regressing I’ll be getting out around here more and hope to get up around Concordia as well.