Petrified wood mystery

Lone Hunter

I did think the edges looked burned but figured it would have damaged deeper. So maybe a twig on fire that snapped off? 

9 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

I did think the edges looked burned but figured it would have damaged deeper. So maybe a twig on fire that snapped off? 

A remnant patch of the charred layer that just happened to preserve a spot where uncharred wood was exposed from deeper layers that had escaped the burning. 

It's how I picture it at least. You already realize I'm one of the more imaginative posters here though. :)

Nooo I never would have thought that.  Your imagination stems from knowledge though so still educates.  It's not like the ramblings of a senile old man. :)

• Thank You 1

@Rockwoodhas emboldened me to speculate. My creative theory:

The branch was broken and started compartmentalization (a knot). There would be more resin present creating the dark area.  The white looks recently exposed, perhaps by a break in the nodule (knot). 

You make the most intriguing finds!

• Thank You 1

The color or lack of color is not due to the original organic compounds in the wood such as pitch. Burning of the wood before fossilization should not cause a color difference. Original organic compounds are really rare in mineralized/silicified wood. 

It would be interesting to see the color in a cross section cut of the stem. If it is white in the middle then I would say that the dark color on the outside is due to mineral staining or alteration of the wood by conditions/fluids on the outside of the wood. Conversely, lots of silicified wood is colorful in the center and white on the outside. One paper which I cannot remember, claims that the chert in the wood can be hydrated on the outside due to weathering. Hydrating chert created opal.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

12 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The color or lack of color is not due to the original organic compounds in the wood such as pitch. Burning of the wood before fossilization should not cause a color difference. Original organic compounds are really rare in mineralized/silicified wood. 

It would be interesting to see the color in a cross section cut of the stem. If it is white in the middle then I would say that the dark color on the outside is due to mineral staining or alteration of the wood by conditions/fluids on the outside of the wood. Conversely, lots of silicified wood is colorful in the center and white on the outside. One paper which I cannot remember, claims that the chert in the wood can be hydrated on the outside due to weathering. Hydrating chert created opal.

Why would anything that unusual need to cause the lighter color in this situation ? 

37 minutes ago, Christine.Rowland said:

@Rockwoodhas emboldened me to speculate. My creative theory:

The branch was broken and started compartmentalization (a knot). There would be more resin present creating the dark area.  The white looks recently exposed, perhaps by a break in the nodule (knot). 

You make the most intriguing finds!

I think the idea has merit.

• Enjoyed 1

This bore hole goes quite deep and I see the red color all the way down, thinking that is real color similar to end.  But just noticed the little balls, insect eggs?

IMG_20210829_011704337.jpg