Great white shark teeth used as prehistoric pendants and possible tools

Oxytropidoceras

Cione, A.L. and Bonomo, M., 2003. Great white shark teeth used

as pendants and possible tools by early‐middle Holocene terrestrial

mammal hunter‐gatherers in the Eastern Pampas (Southern South

America). International Journal of Osteoarchaeology, 13(4), pp.222-231.

PDF file from Researchgate

More PDF of papers

PDF file from Academia.edu

Yours,

Paul H.

Edited by Oxytropidoceras
added URL

So this is kind of interesting because in Texas, there have been a few instances (not confirmed, but heard from a friend kind of situation) of supposed Megaladon teeth having been found in Texas.  Which as far as I know, there are no formations that produce Meg teeth here at all. My conjecture is that they may have been used/traded by Native Americans with other tribes from further East. I know of one person who said her husband found one on a lake shore along with other artifacts. So this is an interesting article as it may lend credence to that thought.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

So this is kind of interesting because in Texas, there have been a few instances (not confirmed, but heard from a friend kind of situation) of supposed Megaladon teeth having been found in Texas.  Which as far as I know, there are no formations that produce Meg teeth here at all. My conjecture is that they may have been used/traded by Native Americans with other tribes from further East. I know of one person who said her husband found one on a lake shore along with other artifacts. So this is an interesting article as it may lend credence to that thought.

I've heard about the occasional rare meg found along the shores of lake sam rayburn. The area is Oligocene and Eocene (maybe Miocene too, have to look again), but the oligocene fossils produced locally are petrified wood that likely resulted from accumulating in dense piles after being blown over by hurricanes and collecting in still waters.

I've also heard about the very rare meg occasionally washing up in Galveston - it would make sense, considering the likes of the other teeth you can find there

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

2 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

of supposed Megaladon teeth having been found in Texas

I've heard rumors of this, too; but, my skepticism has usually been supported when the teeth show no evidence of human alteration or there are numerous plausible explanations for recent transport.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ