Almost everyone thinks I lost my mind! Morrison Formation Dinosaur Delivery

Flx

I forgot to mention:

Based on the shape of the foot bones (as well as other bones found in the quarry) the foot can be IDed as likely "Apatosaurus".

• 1 month later...

I created some wood parts to mount the foot bones in 3d. Maybe I will do a more professional mount made of metal later but I am currently lacking the equipment and welding skills. :headscratch:

At the beginning it was quite tricky to figure out the right location and orientation of each bone (to many degrees of freedom). Anyway, after some museum visits for comparison I think I more or less figured it out. It was enlightening to see how the metatarsals fit together when placed next to each other correctly, 

The mount is not perfect and there is still some uncertainty about whether or not I mixed up 1-2 of the small phalanges (which are more or less potato shaped). But it anyway gives a good impression how the foot probably looked like.

foot0004.JPG

foot0005.JPG

foot0013.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 14

20 hours ago, Flx said:

I created some wood parts to mount the foot bones in 3d. Maybe I will do a more professional mount made of metal later but I am currently lacking the equipment and welding skills. :headscratch:

At the beginning it was quite tricky to figure out the right location and orientation of each bone (to many degrees of freedom). Anyway, after some museum visits for comparison I think I more or less figured it out. It was enlightening to see how the metatarsals fit together when placed next to each other correctly, 

The mount is not perfect and there is still some uncertainty about whether or not I mixed up 1-2 of the small phalanges (which are more or less potato shaped). But it anyway gives a good impression how the foot probably looked like.

foot0004.JPG

foot0005.JPG

foot0013.JPG

This looks fantastic! What a special project to have worked on. Also, you're raising the bar on specimens the rest of us are jealous of. :P

• Thank You 1

:star:

Wishing you a merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah, and a joyful holiday season!

🎄   🕎   🎁

Wow!

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin