Almost everyone thinks I lost my mind! Morrison Formation Dinosaur Delivery

Flx

I think what I am looking at is a compressed and somewhat beaten up sauropod cervical vertebra laying on its side (left is the neural process, right is centrum).

• I found this Informative 1

23 minutes ago, Flx said:

I started to carefully remove the overlaying rock millimeter by millimeter using a knife and my airscribe.

After removing about 20cm of matrix (whch took about 3-4 hours) I had the feeling that there was probably no fossil inside that block. :default_rofl:

I can imagine that having caused a bit of concern and, probably, some slight frustration! :P

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I can imagine that having caused a bit of concern and, probably, some slight frustration! :P

Well, yes... <_<

But I was pretty sure that the guys who collected the material would not do the effort of transporting such a monster from the field to their warehouse just for fun (and to mess with me).

• Enjoyed 1

On 9/20/2021 at 4:00 AM, Flx said:

After removing about 20cm of matrix (whch took about 3-4 hours) I had the feeling that there was probably no fossil inside that block. 

I know that feeling very well, but on a much smaller scale.  So glad you finally hit 'pay dirt'.  Looking forward to seeing the final result.

RB

• Enjoyed 1

So when are you going to enlarge the living room to display it? 

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:32 PM, daves64 said:

So when are you going to enlarge the living room to display it? 

Yeah... display space IS an issue, especially with sauropods. :headscratch:

Digging and preparing sauropods is the primary reason I'm only interested in mammals now.  :rolleyes:

Not really though...  Looks like fun!

• Enjoyed 1

On 9/20/2021 at 5:00 AM, Flx said:

I started to carefully remove the overlaying rock millimeter by millimeter using a knife and my airscribe.

After removing about 20cm of matrix (whch took about 3-4 hours) I had the feeling that there was probably no fossil inside that block. :default_rofl:

Anyway, I continued and a few minutes later I finally touched down on bone. :brokebone:

I love following your progress on this.  One thing to keep in mind when open these jackets is that you are most likely,  looking at the bottom of the pedestal created before jacketing.  They expose the fossil(s), clear around it, dig down below it, then jacket it, and jacket any transport bracing into the top, then they break it free, flip it, then seal the bottom (now the top) with more jacket.  And thats where you're opening it from.

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Wow, this looks like such a great series of projects. Excited to see more updates as time progresses. I've always wanted to work with some Morrison material. 

• Enjoyed 1

20 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I love following your progress on this.  One thing to keep in mind when open these jackets is that you are most likely,  looking at the bottom of the pedestal created before jacketing.  They expose the fossil(s), clear around it, dig down below it, then jacket it, and jacket any transport bracing into the top, then they break it free, flip it, then seal the bottom (now the top) with more jacket.  And thats where you're opening it from.

Correct, the fossil topside (as found) is now the botton side.

The jackets have been left open on one side actually (the botton of the pedestral which is now my topside). 

I removed more matrix during the last few days. It turns out that I am looking at the top of a cervical vertebra (not the side as I first though).

Unfortunately, it has been vertically compressed and crushed. The processes have been folded onto each other and the centrum is collapsed. The whole vertebra which should be around 30cm high is now only something like 5cm. Long story short: The vertebra is in a condition that I cannot repair. :s_cry:

It is very difficult to make out the geometry in the picture and I therefore outlined the vertebra for you. The vertebra is likely Camarasaurus sp..

The good news is that there seems to be a 2nd large vertebra in the jacket. As you can see I already exposed the pre- or postzygs. I hope this vert is in a better condition. :fingerscrossed:

20210921_233803.jpg

20210921_233803_outline.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 2

I think I am looking at another Camarasaurus cervical vertebra (shoulder region). I outlined the vert since it is somewhat hard to see in the picture.

The vert is crushed as well (it is much flatter than it should be). However, the preservation of the side I am looking at is actually quite decent. Definitly worth putting more effort into. :raindance:

20210926_221018_outline.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

44 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Nice but looks more like a dorsal

Yes, could be dorsal also. Probably one of the two lateral processes is there (still hidden in the rock) and then I should be able to tell.

I prepped quite a few sauropod vertebrae so far and find it difficult to tell where the neck ends and the dorsal verts begin. But at least I am not the only one with that problem. :rolleyes:

https://svpow.com/2021/06/06/whats-the-difference-between-a-cervical-and-dorsal-vertebra/

• 1 month later...

It is been a while since I wrote my last update. I didn't have so much time to prep due to job and family.

Anyway, I continued my sauropod vertebrae mission and removed more matrix from the block. Besides the verts that I already exposed I found quite a lot of unidentifiable bone pieces as well as fragments of a rib. Not very interesting. Then however, I made two cool discovieries:
- A very small vertebra (a few cm only). No clue what critter it belons to. Probably not dino. I will post pictures on this one later. 

- A large, bulky toe bone. It was broken into ceveral pieces but I managed to puzzle the parts together and it's about 80% complete.  

I am no expert on toe bones, but to me it looks much more like theropod than sauropod. This is interesting since if it really is from a theropod, that foot (and animal) must have been huge. The lenght of the phalanx is about 10cm (4 inch).

ax100_phalanx005.JPG

• Enjoyed 5

Super cool find and a great job putting it together.  Its indeed from a Theropod, its from right foot Digit IV phalanx 1.  It fits the shape of an Allosaurus fragilis illustrations I have so it very well could be one of the Allosaurids. 

• I found this Informative 6
  • Thank You 1

26 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Got around to taking a couple of photos.. so you can compare against.

Digit IV - 1

Thank you very much for the ID and the photos. This looks like a good fit!

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Thats purty dang cool to go from a sauropod to a theropod.  Nice work too.

RB

Yes, it was a cool discovery. This is the first Allo bone in my collection. 

I am a big fan of Sauropods, but after prepping something like 50 sauropd bones during the last three years it is a nice surprise to find theropod material for once. :rolleyes:

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Very nice surprise! I love picking thru matrix as I'm cleaning up a piece. You never know what else is hiding.

• Enjoyed 1