Is this theropod claw/toe real?

Hi all -- 

Found this claw for sale and am really interested in buying it.  Seller acknowledges that exact species of theropod cannot be determined but that the fossil is from a good source in Kazakhstan.  There do appear to be theropods from the region. 

Any obvious signs in these pictures that this is a fabrication?  Just at a glance, it looks like the grain does follow the curve, which is the first thing I'd look for.  Anything else that stands out?  Relatedly, any signs that this is a composite toe (with bones from several individual dinosaurs put into one display)?  The latter does not bother me too much but would be good to know up front.  

Thanks much in advance!  

Dinosaur.Claw-detail.jpg

Dinosaur.Claw-Cover.jpg

Dinosaur.Claw-Back.jpg

Dinosaur.Claw-Size.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The digits are composite, not placed properly and the wrong size for the claw.  On the first photo the articulation is a bit shiny might be lighting or resto.   Do you have a location, formation that provides you the provenance needed for this digit.  Need to know the age.   Restoration with these photos can be difficult to see.  I would recommend the seller put a UV light on it both sides and send you the photos.  You also need better lit photos of all sides of the claw.  Material from this region is extremely rare so be careful 

• I found this Informative 5

Thanks both @LordTrilobite and @Troodon for your quick responses. 

I will ask the seller for some UV photographs as well.  The seller says that there is some restoration (about 10%) on the piece and that it is collected from Dzhungar Alatau foothills, Zhetysu, Kazakhstan.  Appreciate the heads up and the info!  The piece is eye-catching but I definitely want to do my due diligence.  

Well about 10% resto usually means more.  Get those UV photos.  You still need a formation and age.

One more thought ..the digits appear to be most likely from a more gracile dinosaur than would fit the morphology of that claw.  

• I found this Informative 1

Found this paper on Dinosaur of Dzhungar Alatau foothills,   Looks like the Bostobe Formation.  By the way Ive had good luck getting responses from the author Alexander Averianov.  You might give it a shot to ID the claw.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235806282_The_forgotten_dinosaurs_of_Zhetysu_Eastern_Kazakhstan_Late_Cretaceous

• I found this Informative 5

• 2 weeks later...

The proximal edge portion at the “articulating end” is all restored. Particularly the proximal ventral edge. The restoration does not fit the overall shape of the claw properly. The complete claw would have had more length.

And I agree. The toe is a composite. That claw is way to large to go with the toe phalanxes.

Edited by hxmendoza