My First Prep of a Green River Cockerellites liops

Biotalker

After my first glimpse of The Lost World of Fossil Lake by Lance Grande (if you don’t have it, get it at any price!), I was hooked on Green River fossils. Here is the first one I prepared myself. I bought it directly from one of several “storied” Wyoming quarries. It is from the 18-inch layer and is not found by splitting the fish but by detecting the raised surface of the skull and vertebrae. Then one must somehow scrape away the relatively soft matrix to expose the fossil below (perhaps 1 to 5mm deep). The tools I used are pine vises that held sewing needles. If I could safely scrape away layers, I used an eyeglass screwdriver in the pin vise, but pins work for precise work. I visualized the fossil as I worked with a stereoscopic microscope on a boom so it can hover over the fossil without touching it. Here is the progression of pictures I took back in 2017.

This is a 4.75 inch Cockerellites liops.

I am told in the quarry they are called “footballs”, are beautiful fish armed with strong spines to prevent predator attack from behind. It took me about two months on and off- it is seriously laborious but somewhat calming or maybe even meditative. After months with a fossil like this, you become attached to it. 

pin vise (2).jpg

scope (2).jpg

Before starting

Prisca 0 (2).jpg

Prisca 2 (2).jpg

Prisca 5 crop.jpg

Prisca 6 crop.jpg

Prisca 8 crop.jpg

341936391_Prisca10(2).JPG

If anyone knows how to do this more quickly with the same or better quality, please comment.

• Enjoyed 12

Great job on the prep!  You did that with no soda blasting?  Very impressive.  I'm also jealous of your scope!

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

1 minute ago, hadrosauridae said:

Very impressive.  I'm also jealous of your scope!

Thanks for compliment. As for scope, I kept an eye on it for at least 6 months when it went on sale for half price. 

What a fantastic fossil, and wonderful prep job!  :wub:

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

What a fantastic fossil

Yes, lucky that this one had nice relatively intact cranial bones

Looks great. The work on that spiny fellow looks as good as ole chili-eattin', kilt-wearin' @Ptychodus04 could do! Check it out Kris.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

That's a beautiful specimen, and all the more impressive as you prepped it yourself with mechanical tools and no air abrasion.  I have a lot of trouble getting the vertebrae clear of matrix, so I'm amazed at the job you were able to do.

BTW this species has been reassigned to the genus Cockerellites, so the currently correct name is Cockerellites liops.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Looks great. The work on that spiny fellow looks as good as ole chili-eattin', kilt-wearin' @Ptychodus04 could do! Check it out Kris.

That’s an awesome prep @Biotalker 

John is right, that’s about as good as one can do. Scribes and micro-abrasives only speed the process. :thumbsu:

20 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Cockerellites liops

Thank you, FossilDAWG for correcting my carelessness. To make up for it, here is one I have almost finished- a seven inch Diplomystus dentatus with a superb open mouth and overall skeleton. The two small diplos were fossilized with their heads hopelessly mushed together. 

12562213_DiploOpenMouth2.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

You are absolutely correct in saying that mouth on that diplo is "SUPERB"!   Back in the day when I had no moneys I would get used chainsaw files from chainsaw stores before they threw them away and sharpen one end to a fine point for prepping out these fish.  Nowadays its scribing and media blasting. 

RB 

DSCN1111.JPG

• Fossildude19 changed the title to My First Prep of a Green River Cockerellites liops
21 hours ago, Biotalker said:

Thank you, FossilDAWG for correcting my carelessness. To make up for it, here is one I have almost finished- a seven inch Diplomystus dentatus with a superb open mouth and overall skeleton. The two small diplos were fossilized with their heads hopelessly mushed together. 

12562213_DiploOpenMouth2.jpg

That is spectacular!

Haven't seen one that good in a while!

Thanks for posting it!

Cheers!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 8/31/2021 at 4:56 PM, Biotalker said:

To make up for it, here is one I have almost finished- a seven inch Diplomystus dentatus with a superb open mouth and overall skeleton.

Your hand prepping is outstanding! You really have a talent. Keep it up.