Collector's Guide to Texas Cretaceous Echinoids- Anyone Have It?

Thomas.Dodson

Does anyone have Collector's Guide to Texas Cretaceous Echinoids by William Morgan? I'm guessing it is a lot less dated than the old HGMS one and was thinking about picking up a copy so I was curious what those who have read it think of it. I also welcome any other good recommendations for Cretaceous echinoid references. Until my power returns in Louisiana I'm going to be collecting in North Texas and I've already come across some nice (to me) echinoids so I'm in need of reference material.

1 minute ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Does anyone have Collector's Guide to Texas Cretaceous Echinoids by William Morgan? I'm guessing it is a lot less dated than the old HGMS one and was thinking about picking up a copy so I was curious what those who have read it think of it. I also welcome any other good recommendations for Cretaceous echinoid references. Until my power returns in Louisiana I'm going to be collecting in North Texas and I've already come across some nice (to me) echinoids so I'm in need of reference material.

It is the most accurate, recent publication.  Other recent publications are riddled with errors.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

I have it in my library and use it as my primary reference for accuracy of identification.  The photos are also very helpful.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
FossilDAWG

After searching through a bunch of older posts I figured out the book I was concerned about is a different book.  The comments on the book mentioned here seem quite favorable.  I just ordered a copy for myself.

example of an older post:

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I have it and I highly recommend as well.

Mike

• Enjoyed 1
Uncle Siphuncle
12 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Bill Morgan is a retired university professor, and I find his style of writing to be suitably structured, methodical, and analytical for this type of publication, lending his work the credibility it deserves among professionals and amateurs alike.

• I Agree 2
Thomas.Dodson

I'm convinced and I've ordered a copy. Thanks for everyone's input. Looking forward to reading it.

FossilDAWG

My copy arrived yesterday and it is excellent!  The taxonomy is up to date, the descriptions are clear and very helpful, and the excellent photos really highlight species-specific diagnostic characters.

Don

• Enjoyed 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Thomas.Dodson

I'm just echoing other sentiments at this point but I wanted to mention that I also highly approve of the book. I've been using my copy since it came in and it is methodically organized, clear but still analytical, and easy to use. The multiple figures that illustrate different identifying characteristics clearly in excellent photographs is a step above many other publications.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1