How can I find large shark teeth at north myrtle beach

tinkerdragon123

I am visiting myrtle beach soon, cherry grove area, and was wondering if there were any really good strategies for finding shark teeth. I have been to holden beach, a little ways north, and found 75 shark teeth in a week by mostly looking in shell beds, however, I found my two largest teeth, two great whites, in a tide pool. Is there a really good location for tooth hunting at cherry grove? also, is there any one spot at the beach where there are the most shark teeth.

I haven't hunted around there but a few rules apply to most coastal shark tooth hunting areas.

1. Go Early, large shark teeth are easier to spot and picked up quicker.

2. Where there's shells, there's teeth. It all gets washed in with the ocean and so look for areas with lots of broken shells for shark teeth as a lot of material is deposited there.

3. The larger the shells and debris in an area, the larger the teeth. If a current or wave is strong enough to transport the large shells and stuff, it is strong enough to move the larger shark teeth.

Hopefully someone who regularly hunts this material will be of more help.

• I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)