Rexofspades

Hi all!

Went on an expedition to Wardensville this weekend to try out some new equipment, decided to go to the Lost river quarry and try my hand at shale splitting. The drive was nice and uneventful. but eventually I made it to the spot. The scree was more treacherous than I expected, has to use my new rockhammer as a pick of sorts to help anchor myself. this was my very first time to this locality, doing anything like this for that matter, so I had no idea what I would find if anything. after scrambling up to the rock wall and looking over the texture my eyes were met with the first find of the day, a trilobite partial sticking out of the rock.

20210829_102405.thumb.jpg.8e88b621ac122f45232df08af822d648.jpg

I was excited and managed to retrieve this one from the matrix. Pouring over the rest of the surrounding area, I was able to find a couple more trilobites, brachiopods, and some coral material. Following some of the advice from this forum I brought tinfoil to wrap each fossil in. There was a nice family that also pulled up to look for fossils and I spent some of the time chatting with them about the formation and the surrounding area.

I will be making a separate post with some of the finds that I cannot ID, and maybe asking for some fossil prep advice.  any Fossil ID or suggestions are appreciated as always!

Snapchat-353010563.jpg  Snapchat-358589251.jpg Trilobites.jpg

Brachippods.jpg  Trilobite cephalon.jpg

20210829_171021.jpg  20210829_171823.jpg

• Enjoyed 2