Edisto River Questions...

tinkerdragon123

Seems to be rather high now. Seasonal flow levels can be checked using the past record functions available on the USGS National Water Information System. The mean flow for particular dates, historical lows, and any past data on record is easily viewed. Current water data is the most useful for checking water levels. Once you become familiar with typical low discharge values for the particular gauging station it is easy to use discharge and gage height to tell what is too high.

For The Edisto near Givhans. You'll notice that the gage height has gone up ~2.5 feet since the 26th and is in a high percentile.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?02175000

Some things to note/useful tools:

Large rivers often have multiple gage stations. In case of regulated dams, large tributaries draining in between stations, and other factors it is worth looking for one closest to your site although it often doesn't matter much.

Note that gage height is not depth but water elevation from a arbitrarily picked reference point at the gage station. Because of this it is used comparatively for a single station only.

Using the records function I can generate a graph using dates I specify. I chose to run all of last year to help answer your question. It will vary year to year of course but this gives you an idea.

Untitled2.png.709fc297a4bc650a61016c12db168e17.pngUntitled.png.1c5a17174d48b4ba96fc1f69e17eb17e.png

With this we can see that the general lowest points for this year are in late May, late July, and early September. I ran the data for 2019 and there was also a prolonged low level point in October and November then.

This may be more information than you requested but I'd take some time learning the website as it is the most useful tool for checking conditions for river and stream fossil hunting.

• I found this Informative 4

I want to visit edisto river to find shark teeth but I have a few concerns. would all the teeth be picked over? should I only go when the river is low? and how nice of thing can I actually find there we me being a shark tooth collector with only 100 teeth and only two are nice ones, a mako and a great white. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I want to visit edisto river to find shark teeth but do not know where to start. I have kayaks but have no clue where I can go. also, are there any best locations to find large teeth?

1 hour ago, tinkerdragon123 said:

I want to visit edisto river to find shark teeth but do not know where to start. I have kayaks but have no clue where I can go. also, are there any best locations to find large teeth?

Hi There, not sure about specifics on the Edisto locations except that the water level/flow speed will play a part in your success ... and those that run that river are searching for submerged gravel banks and shallow portions of the river where snorkel gear and/or a mask or goggles can be used. 

One more note, since the Edisto is a navigable waterway you will need a hobby license. Digging into the river bed is prohibited, but collecting from the bottom is not with the proper license.  

http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/sciaa/mrd/faq#:~:text=Who needs a Hobby License,and fossils from submerged sites.&text=If you wish to collect,you must obtain a license.

I always wanted to take my Kayak out there but never got the chance. You should check the South Carolina sub-forum. I seem to recall this subject coming up a few times. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/130-south-carolina/

Lee Taylor used to be on the forum, he hasn't been around of late. He did create a nice video of his Edisto adventures. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw1rKanxWTo

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Brett Breakin' Rocks
  • I found this Informative 2

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Edisto River Questions...

Topics merged.  One topic should be enough to answer your questions.  ;) 

@tinkerdragon123

I see a running theme with your posts, - where to look for the Best, Most, and Biggest shark teeth. 

A huge part of Fossil hunting is luck. Another huge part is time, persistence, and hard work. People find the great things they do here because of the hard work, sweat, and effort they put into finding such things.

While asking some questions is fine, keep in mind that not many people are willing to give up hard won spots or honey holes to a random stranger on the internet.  ;) 

You will benefit from doing your own research, and  doing your own leg work, putting in your own time and effort to find good spots for yourself. 

Sometimes, it is just the luck of the draw. River environments are always exposing new finds. So when one day the finds may be few or far between, or may be over picked, after a good rain or some flooding events, the river finds can be renewed. Look for gravel banks, and get there after a rain, when the water levels allow hunting. 

Good luck with your hunts.  :) 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015