South Carolina locations with easy access?

tinkerdragon123

tinkerdragon123

Would anyone know of a easy to get to location where I can park and look for shark teeth in a creek or river?

I don't have a diving license nor do I have a South Carolina hobby license and I am looking for a good location, also, if there is a great location for finding shark teeth that requires a license, I can try to get a licence to visit that location.

Research, research, research!

Please do a search of the Forum for locations in South Carolina. 

You should also do a Google search for guided fossil hunts in South or North Carolina, to increase your odds of success.  ;) 

As I stated in an earlier topic, people are reluctant to just post great hunting spots on the internet. 

fifbrindacier

That's a detective's job that can take hours to perform. And when you're on the site you're not always successful because the first time you hunt somewhere you're not used to the look fossils have there nor where, precisely, you have the best chances to find them.

The piles at the Aurora Fossil Museum are a good place to start. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Fossildude19 changed the title to South Carolina locations with easy access?
  • 2 months later...

I started off by paying for a guided excursion to learn more about the area in Summerville/North Charleston and also to learn the ropes.  After that, a friend of mine and I have been doing tons of research looking up creeks in the area.  Google satellite images usually will show if there are areas that looks like you can pull off the side of the road.  There are some restrictions in the city limits of Summerville regarding using a shovel if you are in a creek.  

Good luck!  People in the area are very protective of "their spots", so just beware.  LOL.

Edited by ShanLambert
  • 1 month later...

My first experiences with hunting for fossils dates back to the late 90's. It all started because I am a very experienced SCUBA diver (with a Master Certification and specialty training). Your best bet in the beginning is to hire a guide. For starters it will get you around other people with the same interest. Over the years I have often had total strangers ask me to take them to a spot and point to a large high value sharks tooth so they can pick it up and take it home. That scenario has never made sense to me.

• I found this Informative 1
On 9/1/2021 at 9:01 AM, Plax said:

The piles at the Aurora Fossil Museum are a good place to start. 

One year I made arrangements to visit Lee Creek. The arrangements included travel and hotel expenses ($$$). Five minutes before leaving I had the thought that I had better check to make sure the "hunt" was still scheduled. Boy am I glad I checked. The hunt had been canceled but no one had been notified. Aurora was moved to my BLACK list. Will never ever forget that. Be forewarned. I will never set foot on their property. Fossils or no fossils. 

Edited by Lee Taylor
36 minutes ago, Lee Taylor said:

Aurora was moved to my BLACK list

It saddens me that your experience resulted in such negative feelings. I for one, in this day and age of OSHA rules and lawsuits, commend the Aurora Phosphate Mine who continue to provide piles of fossiliferous material  to the museum for the public to pick through. Please do not let one  bad experience prevent others from visiting this site. There are other quarries around the USA that have taken that approach and I have similar admiration of these mining facilities too. 

• I Agree 1

Others need to generate their own opinions based on their experiences. When I purchase a bad product or receive bad service I report precisely what I received. I do the same with a good product and good service. I exchanged emails, personal information, and paid money, to be put on a list to go into the Aurora mine on a particular date. I made all the financial arrangements for my trip. I was literally walking out of the house, car packed, when something told me I had better check and see if something had changed. Sure enough, the fossil hunt had been canceled. It does not bother me that it was canceled. What flew in my face was that NO ONE was notified of the canceled plans. No money returned, no I am sorry, no nothing. To me personally it was just one big screw-you from them to me and everyone signed up. Never again. Now that I think of it, I have Lee Creek fossils in my collection. I think I will just toss them into the river. Good riddance

Edited by Lee Taylor
  • 2 weeks later...
sixgill pete
On 12/31/2021 at 11:37 AM, Lee Taylor said:

One year I made arrangements to visit Lee Creek. The arrangements included travel and hotel expenses ($$$). Five minutes before leaving I had the thought that I had better check to make sure the "hunt" was still scheduled. Boy am I glad I checked. The hunt had been canceled but no one had been notified. Aurora was moved to my BLACK list. Will never ever forget that. Be forewarned. I will never set foot on their property. Fossils or no fossils. 

The Aurora Fossil Museum and the Lee Creek Mine are two separate entities. The Museum is a non profit that has spoil piles available at all times.

If you made arrangements that you had to pay to visit the Lee Creek Mine, someone was trying to dupe you. The mine itself only operated fossil hunting trips during the spring and fall and THERE WAS NO CHARGE FOR THIS. You had to email the mine starting a specific date and time to hope you were added to a list for a particular weekend. Once on the list it was your responsibility to provide arrangements to get there. The trip was subject to cancellation due to weather or safety concerns up to the last minute, that was understood in the e mail you were sent once you were selected. Not sure what went on in your case, but it does not sound like you went through the mine itself to reserve a collecting spot. If you purchased the spot from a second party, then the fault is theirs, not the Lee Creek Mine or the Aurora Fossil Museum.

Edited by sixgill pete
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 3
Lee Taylor

I was certainly duped, you are correct. I sent $50 to the Aurora Fossil Museum per their request. They said it was necessary to get on the list to get into the mine. And I was put on the list to get into the mine. I am just SO very glad, I thank my lucky stars, I did not make the trip and spend the hotel and travel money. All the problems in the world are caused when people do not get what they expect. If you are expected to deliver and you cannot, the correct thing to do is let people know. I am passed it now. It has no meaning in my life other than I confirmed my personal business philosophy of the correct way to do things. Aurora and Lee Creek are completely off my radar and have been for years. They do not exist in my world. My hope is to never hear about their existence again for the rest of my days. I know when I have been taken advantage of. Twist it any way you like, I don't care

sixgill pete
16 minutes ago, Lee Taylor said:

I was certainly duped, you are correct. I sent $50 to the Aurora Fossil Museum per their request. They said it was necessary to get on the list to get into the mine. And I was put on the list to get into the mine. I am just SO very glad, I thank my lucky stars, I did not make the trip and spend the hotel and travel money. All the problems in the world are caused when people do not get what they expect. If you are expected to deliver and you cannot, the correct thing to do is let people know. I am passed it now. It has no meaning in my life other than I confirmed my personal business philosophy of the correct way to do things. Aurora and Lee Creek are completely off my radar and have been for years. They do not exist in my world. My hope is to never hear about their existence again for the rest of my days. I know when I have been taken advantage of. Twist it any way you like, I don't care

Nobody at the Aurora Fossil Museum would have asked for money to get on a list. They had no control over who was accepted by the mine to go in. 

Sorry for your experience but you are blaming the wrong people. 

• I Agree 2
Lee Taylor
17 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Nobody at the Aurora Fossil Museum would have asked for money to get on a list. They had no control over who was accepted by the mine to go in. 

Sorry for your experience but you are blaming the wrong people. 

You are wrong my friend. They conspire and they work together. Believe what you will. I know what transpired