Tooth herbivore

Jordy3d

Hi I found this in airdire Alberta I don’t know what animal or dinosaur this is from. I’m thinking maybe a cow or bison?

In the area that I found it I usually just find Gastropods or fossil shells.         Thanks 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

21 minutes ago, val horn said:

it does look bovid, and rather large maybe it is bison.  More knowledgeable people will comment soon.

Thanks for the information 

That is a pretty hard question  bison extend from the ice age to  now and cow even more recent .  A burn test is a good test of bone  non fossilized bone burns and smells terrible while a fossil does not burn.  Teeth dont test well since enamel is already highly mineralized  potentially you could test the root whose intrinsic mineralization is akin  to bone using a red hot needle.

Bison enamel tends to have shallow, vertical crenulations; cow enamel, not so much.

The last image reminds me of how a deciduous tooth is replaced by the permanent tooth from above in upper teeth.  The deciduous roots thin from the inside until the tooth is just a cap on the emerging tooth.  I think this is an upper deciduous premolar, maybe from a cow.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest