Phos_01

Hi everyone,

I have the most amazing story that happend this morning. 

I went to deliver something to a client of mine, not expecting anything a bit sleepy on the way over there, I drove up to hes amazing house drive trough , and hes secretary showed me the way.

I unload the car with my delivery, and she opens the door of the castle... locks and keys sounding for a while, a big wooden door opens..  And there it was.. 

A full size skull of the Triceratops, just.. amazing. I was stunned.

I almost dropped my stuff, I stared at it so long, still shaking from this. It looked so amazing, beyond cool. Its really massive to see in real life, it was so well preserved it even had most of its black tooth. I touched it lol, I had too, sure you will understand.

Anyway I wanted to share this story with all of you. I really wish I could show you the photo and share this with everyone, but Its not allowed because of the privacy of the client. I just can't believe what I have witnessed. 

Cheers & nice day to everyone! 

Egon

• Enjoyed 3

Lovely story that clearly made your day a little brighter.

Excellent.

Thank you for sharing it and putting a smile on my face too. :)

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Phos_01 said:

A full size skull of the Triceratops, just.. amazing. I was stunned.

Was you dropping something off at Troodon’s house then?  :default_rofl:

Nice story 

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lovely story that clearly made your day a little brighter.

Excellent.

Thank you for sharing it and putting a smile on my face too. :)

Yes it made my day awesome! 

20 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Cool not a cast?

No definitely not a cast, the real deal, the best example I have ever seen, compared with auctioned ones and museums.

12 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice story 

LOL I would not be surprised what some people on the TFF actually have at their home :dinothumb:

54 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice story 

Deliveries always accepted :dinothumb:

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Did he tell you where it was from?  

No I met him two days ago, I was not aware of hes insane collection. Today I have only met hes staff. 

Surely I will get in contact with him again, and try to get more info, or trade lol. If I only had a spare house to trade in for hes Skull.

Sounds cool. Do you know if it was Triceratops horridus or Triceratops prorsus?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I remember a triceratops skull being sold off at auction on a Dutch auction site back in 2016 or thereabouts. In my memory it was a spectacular specimen - indeed, very complete with teeth and all (I remember, as later on, when I started paying more attention to other triceratops skulls I noticed how they were of much lesser quality). Previously owned by a Dutch private collector, it had been on display at the national natural history museum of the Netherlands, Naturalis, in Leiden for six years. But as the museum was going to close for renovations over a two-year time-span, the owner wanted to sell it on. According to the auction records, it didn't get sold, however. Could it be this specimen? According to the auction records it was a Triceratops horridus specimen found in Wyoming, 60-65% original...

1537236412_TriceratopshorridusNaturalis01.jpg.c770046667fb8c804ec272d9d0b828c4.jpg778241499_TriceratopshorridusNaturalis02.jpg.f8897aee7bebdd76451b3a0f0fc50dd1.jpg

An apparently even better specimen was again sold off at auction in Paris back in 2011. Also identified as T. horridus, according to the auction records, this one was found in North Dakota (@paulyb135).

883680912_TriceratopshorridusParis.thumb.jpg.94bf1b666f055b8ede944ab9262b9336.jpg

While it's a pity that such pieces are hidden away from both scientific study and the marvel of the general public, it's not as uncommon as you think: I've seen many spectacular specimens pass by in auction over the years. Some private collectors, however, are kind enough to share, as is the case with the first triceratops skull at Naturalis mentioned above and Arkhane, the Allosaurus (probably nov.) sp., that is on display as a loan to the Museum voor Natuurwetenschappen in Brussels.

1381711132_AllosaurusArkhane.thumb.jpg.8c071a14d3f48d5a99ef6c9cfb923a71.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

The first one is not a very good skull (in fact pretty bad)but the second one looks very nice.  Both are however Triceratops prorsus   with that large elongated nasal horn.  Will be interesting to see if its one of these.

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Sounds cool. Do you know if it was Triceratops horridus or Triceratops prorsus?

Leaning towards Horridus. What are key characteristics? 

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I remember a triceratops skull being sold off at auction on a Dutch auction site back in 2016 or thereabouts. In my memory it was a spectacular specimen - indeed, very complete with teeth and all (I remember, as later on, when I started paying more attention to other triceratops skulls I noticed how they were of much lesser quality). Previously owned by a Dutch private collector, it had been on display at the national natural history museum of the Netherlands, Naturalis, in Leiden for six years. But as the museum was going to close for renovations over a two-year time-span, the owner wanted to sell it on. According to the auction records, it didn't get sold, however. Could it be this specimen? According to the auction records it was a Triceratops horridus specimen found in Wyoming, 60-65% original...

1537236412_TriceratopshorridusNaturalis01.jpg.c770046667fb8c804ec272d9d0b828c4.jpg778241499_TriceratopshorridusNaturalis02.jpg.f8897aee7bebdd76451b3a0f0fc50dd1.jpg

An apparently even better specimen was again sold off at auction in Paris back in 2011. Also identified as T. horridus, according to the auction records, this one was found in North Dakota (@paulyb135).

883680912_TriceratopshorridusParis.thumb.jpg.94bf1b666f055b8ede944ab9262b9336.jpg

While it's a pity that such pieces are hidden away from both scientific study and the marvel of the general public, it's not as uncommon as you think: I've seen many spectacular specimens pass by in auction over the years. Some private collectors, however, are kind enough to share, as is the case with the first triceratops skull at Naturalis mentioned above and Arkhane, the Allosaurus (probably nov.) sp., that is on display as a loan to the Museum voor Natuurwetenschappen in Brussels.

1381711132_AllosaurusArkhane.thumb.jpg.8c071a14d3f48d5a99ef6c9cfb923a71.jpg

Can confirm it was none of these. The Skull I saw was far more impressive , best one I have ever seen, it was massive also, I felt intimidated by its size.

Actually I have sended Paul the Triceratops skull from Sotheby's yesterday for hes IG post, we were just talking about it, what are the odds? Next morning I just see one, still amazed. 

I feel its correct sometimes a Fossil like this gets sold to private collectors like us. People need to get paid, staff, resources to dig fossils etc. Like the Black Hills Institute. They cant just rely on entrance fee and museums buying sometimes. At the same time a skull like the one I saw today was so spectacular, its to bad only the elite that visits him can witness it. 

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Phos_01 said:

Like the Black Hills Institute. They cant just rely on entrance fee and museums buying sometimes. At the same time a skull like the one I saw today was so spectacular, its to bad only the elite that visits him can witness it. 

Sometimes private collectors do not want the publicity on these type of collections.  

By the way the BHI sells an awful lot of replica skeletons, its a good business for them.  For example,  a good number of museums cannot afford a real Trex but most have a replica of Stan from the BHI.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

Sometimes private collectors do not want the publicity on these type of collections. 

Exactly this is the case here.

This was not a cast 100%. As there is no reason for it, he only has the best of the best, he would never settle with a replica. And im in the sculpture business myself, I can see a lost-wax casting this was not. I also touched it, it felt cold and solid. 

This why I needed to share this story because it was so amazing, very happy to have seen this

12 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

And im in the sculpture business myself, I can see a lost-wax casting this was not. I also touched it, it felt cold and solid.

I don't think fossil replica's are made using lost-wax casting. What I've seen so far uses silicone moulds... But I've seen cast specimens being rather cold and solid too, so I'm not quite sure how that was achieved.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

11 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I don't think fossil replica's are made using lost-wax casting. What I've seen so far uses silicone moulds... But I've seen cast specimens being rather cold and solid too, so I'm not quite sure how that was achieved.

Same principle sort off they use lost wax for Bronze usually also, you can spot it in small areas , then they would have to add a patina to the cast, to give it colour this you can spot. This one did not look dark brown like some casts in museums, it looked great with all sorts of grey coloring from rock formation, and it had some of its teeth, they were black

But once more, this client would never have a replica. It would not make sense at all :Wink1:

Great story.  If you ever get permission to post a picture I think everyone would love it!

PS: jealous

Edited by FB003
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

*Frank*

5 minutes ago, FB003 said:

Great story.  If you ever get permission to post a picture I think everyone would love it!

PS: jealous

Will definitely do so! It looks great on photo also:Smiling:

• Thank You 1