scratch marks on Dinosaur Teeth

Phos_01

Hello,

I noticed on some pictures on Teeth in the past and recent there are allot of scratch marks. I was wondering what they are ?

Perhaps I silly question, but im just learning as i go. Are these from excavating ? or did the Dinosaur did this by biting during its live.

(photo by Roby)

5B2913DD-ED8B-443B-8D9C-9D571F9E2E5F.jpeg.e9b07fd91ddb9e8766268c41e84ff0d5.jpeg

aren't those marks left by the roots of plants in contact with the fossil? I've seen simmilar marks like this on fossil shark teeth.

like this:

Edited by Manticocerasman
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 4

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

4 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

aren't those marks left by the roots of plants in contact with the fossil? I've seen simmilar marks like this on fossil shark teeth.

like this:

Yes, it’s called root etching. I believe the acidity of roots helps to break down bones and teeth. This leaves what appears to be scratches or “lightning” patterns on the teeth.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 3

Digging in the Hell Creek you find this type of etching on a good number of teeth and some bones.

Roots get well down into the fossil bearing layer.

A definite bummer in an otherwise pristine tooth.

P9190222.thumb.JPG.29b5d0e72658833805972ef932dfa7c8.jpeg.9d80f4ee30b20a2c299837be36b84cd7.jpeg

P9180189.thumb.JPG.b0c56dad03ba60b2a5b64b365ae58602.jpeg.6e51d22da01b86cb810aad74fa5aefc3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Runner64 said:

Yes, it’s called root etching. I believe the acidity of roots helps to break down bones and teeth. This leaves what appears to be scratches or “lightning” patterns on the teeth.

Cool, so that explains it!  Thanks for the info

Those plants sure took a beating on those fossils! 

I agree that some "lightning strike" patterns may be the result of roots, but I'm not convinced they're the culprit in the OP's photo. The lines on this tooth seem too straight and too consistent (end-to-end of a given line) to be root in origin. I don't see the same size/shape/pattern of lines on this tooth that I see on real roots and in Troodon's example. I have a number of teeth with these patterns and they all resemble the shark tooth shown in the linked older post -- not so much with the tooth in the current post. I'd be interested in hearing what others think.

A guy I buy fossils from got this in for his shop some months ago, it's a Bone Valley tooth. It looks like the white mark started near the tip and makes no contact with the root. 

What this means exactly, I have absolutely no idea! Anyone got thoughts?

130769124_1347386008941664_2382522524160920451_n.thumb.jpg.794e6ce14d188617b88e433f8bfd1aaa.jpg

49 minutes ago, Gareth_ said:

A guy I buy fossils from got this in for his shop some months ago, it's a Bone Valley tooth. It looks like the white mark started near the tip and makes no contact with the root. 

What this means exactly, I have absolutely no idea! Anyone got thoughts?

How do you know it did not make contact with a plant root when it was in-situ.  Thats my call.

1 hour ago, NCSTer said:

I agree that some "lightning strike" patterns may be the result of roots, but I'm not convinced they're the culprit in the OP's photo. The lines on this tooth seem too straight and too consistent (end-to-end of a given line) to be root in origin. I don't see the same size/shape/pattern of lines on this tooth that I see on real roots and in Troodon's example. I have a number of teeth with these patterns and they all resemble the shark tooth shown in the linked older post -- not so much with the tooth in the current post. I'd be interested in hearing what others think.

Plant roots, they can get pretty dense.  Not sure what else could cause that etching.

I agree with Troodon , the original tooth has root etching marks.

Roots will follow any weakness in the ground -  cracks in the surrounding rock can lead the roots in a straight line.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

How do you know it did not make contact with a plant root when it was in-situ.  Thats my call.

I don't..... I just put it up as a nice clear example of what the topic is about so the people much smarter than myself can discuss :)

It certainly adds a cool effect to that Meg tooth, I'd love to see the lingual side

we see this a lot in the Lance Formation.  Often enough we have to gently remove the roots from the tooth/bone and we find these coll marks.  

• 2 months later...

It's interesting how sometimes root etching can make the fossil look better and sometimes make it look worse. 

• I Agree 1

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png