North Sulphur Bones ID

Thomas.Dodson

Among the fossils I collected at the North Sulphur River this past week there were a couple bones that stood out. One appears to be a decent chunk of rib. I figured there might just be enough for someone more familiar to identify so I decided to post it.

IMG_8970.thumb.JPG.4b0a09530f1e544267401203e7e9c3ee.JPG

IMG_8971.thumb.JPG.4363f3138130d9418ef9bb85e9e79f03.JPG

IMG_9092.thumb.JPG.5945b91543e36e0584b4ad2f551fe0e4.JPG

IMG_9093.thumb.JPG.43acd3cfa69b2f1242b16adae575f512.JPG

The second bone stands out because of the directions of the bone grain. Hypurals, scapulas, and others have this multi-directional grain so I don't hold out much hope for this one to move beyond chunkosaur. I figured I'd post it anyway on the slight chance someone might have an idea because it's the North Sulphur.

IMG_9095.thumb.JPG.2a46700b63e708e9ae630ba14914adb8.JPG

IMG_9096.thumb.JPG.dec8001543aa2a336ae2ab9207915a8c.JPG

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

The second bone stands out because of the directions of the bone grain. Hypurals, scapulas, and others have this multi-directional grain so I don't hold out much hope for this one to move beyond chunkosaur. I figured I'd post it anyway on the slight chance someone might have an idea because it's the North Sulphur.

This is turtle plastron. They have the radially-diverging "grain" you noticed, and it's different from the texture on mosasaur bones. Plus, this is a piece that is plate-like, so I'm 99% sure this is from a turtle. Can't say which turtle, though.  

823486279_FHSMVP-13448D.thumb.jpeg.0f7d68f88b85b75c0cb8ffade5cadced.jpeg

^http://oceansofkansas.com/turtles.html

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Among the fossils I collected at the North Sulphur River this past week there were a couple bones that stood out. One appears to be a decent chunk of rib. I figured there might just be enough for someone more familiar to identify so I decided to post it.

I think rib is a reasonable guess ... probably marine reptile (very likely mosasaur). The texture doesn't look fishy.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

4 minutes ago, ThePhysicist said:

Plus, this is a piece that is plate-like, so I'm 99% sure this is from a turtle. Can't say which turtle, though.

Is this from a Cretaceous turtle or a Pleistocene turtle? Dark color tends to make me think that it is Cretaceous but, color vs age can be unreliable.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

14 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Is this from a Cretaceous turtle or a Pleistocene turtle? Dark color tends to make me think that it is Cretaceous but, color vs age can be unreliable.

It definitely is from the Ozan, the preservation is typical, and I don't think it would've been the right environment for sea turtles during the pleistocene. 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff