I would wait for a better one if I were you, now that you have one in hand already.  The new one is similar, with much worn-out bones, and the thick white line (either it's broken and glued, or a calcite vein, I couldn't see it clearly to tell) doesn't look nice.  I can't help but show you what a good looking Keichousaurus looks like, you can compare and wait for a better one.

IMG_9571.JPG

IMG_8624.JPG

• Thank You 1

10 hours ago, RobFallen said:

So I finally get one when I couldn't find one for years and now a 2nd is available at an ok price elsewhere lol what is your thoughts on this one guys? I have space for two of them no problem ;) feel free to tell me to shut up about these fossils if required lol however they are current favourites along with my mammoth teeth 

241998923_378168754036520_3289353618155852839_n.jpg

242139067_569839027797246_7609712037242550280_n.jpg

242149084_1247833688975279_1243023396990656701_n.jpg

Lol please dont! I think we are all (most especially myself) am really learning about the range of quality one must look for with these types of fossils. I think this thread definitely serves as a good reference guide for those such as myself, who would like to own one in the future. And for your peace of mind, I think the community would be happy to assist you with your decision if it helps!

And in my opinion, I think I would save up for one (even if that means I wont have two) of highest quality that my budget would allow. :)

Edit: Whoops didnt see you already bought the first one. Congrats! And as Crazyhen said, since you already have one, Id probably look for a highest quality one that is within my price range. 

Edited by carch_23
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

I would wait for a better one if I were you, now that you have one in hand already.  The new one is similar, with much worn-out bones, and the thick white line (either it's broken and glued, or a calcite vein, I couldn't see it clearly to tell) doesn't look nice.  I can't help but show you what a good looking Keichousaurus looks like, you can compare and wait for a better one.

IMG_9571.JPG

IMG_8624.JPG

A bit smaller than the one I have but very nice, may I ask what these cost in China? 

5 hours ago, carch_23 said:

Lol please dont! I think we are all (most especially myself) am really learning about the range of quality one must look for with these types of fossils. I think this thread definitely serves as a good reference guide for those such as myself, who would like to own one in the future. And for your peace of mind, I think the community would be happy to assist you with your decision if it helps!

And in my opinion, I think I would save up for one (even if that means I wont have two) of highest quality that my budget would allow. :)

Edit: Whoops didnt see you already bought the first one. Congrats! And as Crazyhen said, since you already have one, Id probably look for a highest quality one that is within my price range. 

Hah yes I did buy one supposed to be the first but ended up with another one, which has grown on me :P im still looking, i've decided two is a good number so may spam this post more in time lol

• Enjoyed 1

On 9/17/2021 at 1:27 AM, Crazyhen said:

the thick white line (either it's broken and glued, or a calcite vein, I couldn't see it clearly to tell) doesn't look nice.

I managed to get a pic of the back from the seller, it could be calcite maybe?

242225402_372990737799286_4206480188614081761_n.jpg

On 9/18/2021 at 10:45 PM, RobFallen said:

I managed to get a pic of the back from the seller, it could be calcite maybe?

242225402_372990737799286_4206480188614081761_n.jpg

Looks like it's broken and glued back to me.

17 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Looks like it's broken and glued back to me.

You could be right, I don't think I will buy this one now, quite annoyed at myself with my original one also now, I had a guy sort out the flaking on the back so its stable but where the price sticker was on the top left had some residue when I removed it so I used a little isopropyl on a cotton bud to try and remove it, it seems I may have took away some of the original colouring or stone in the process so have a patch I can see that annoys me now lol it looks worse in the photo to be honest but still, any way I can fix this?

IMG_1738.jpg

53 minutes ago, RobFallen said:

price sticker was on the top left had some residue when I removed it so I used a little isopropyl on a cotton bud to try and remove it, it seems I may have took away some of the original colouring or stone in the process so have a patch I can see that annoys me now lol it looks worse in the photo to be honest but still, any way I can fix this?

I don’t think it looks to bad, if you did not point it out I would not have noticed. My advice now it has been stabilised Is just enjoy it in your fossil display.

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I don’t think it looks to bad, if you did not point it out I would not have noticed. My advice now it has been stabilised Is just enjoy it in your fossil display.

Thanks pal appreciate that, I was kicking myself about it a bit to be honest, my most expensive fossil and had thought I had wrecked it :( A fossil keeping stonemason of all people sanded the back carefully so no more loose bits, it no longer falls apart if I move it lol, he said its totally fine now but if I am worried to buy and use some Paraloid B-72 premixed on the back of it

• I Agree 1

I agree with Bobby, that it doesn't look bad. The matrix naturally has different shades, you definitely did not ruin it. Displays nice with your other rocks and fossils and interesting coins.

• I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

54 minutes ago, RobFallen said:

Thanks pal appreciate that, I was kicking myself about it a bit to be honest, my most expensive fossil and had thought I had wrecked it :( A fossil keeping stonemason of all people sanded the back carefully so no more loose bits, it no longer falls apart if I move it lol, he said its totally fine now but if I am worried to buy and use some Paraloid B-72 premixed on the back of it

I do handle my collection mainly my ammonites to rearrange or photograph but they are mostly very solid . My Keichousaurus I handle once a year to clean. I dust  it with a soft artist paint brush No Water.  It looks the same as the day I purchased it 12 years ago. Just a word to the wise.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, RobFallen said:

...but where the price sticker was on the top left had some residue when I removed it so I used a little isopropyl on a cotton bud to try and remove it, it seems I may have took away some of the original colouring or stone in the process so have a patch I can see that annoys me now lol it looks worse in the photo to be honest but still, any way I can fix this?

IMG_1738.jpg

A green scrubbing pad is an easy remedy that has worked for me in the past. It should have just enough abrasive capacity to remove the blotchy spot without damaging the matrix. I have also had great success using a rubber gum eraser, steel wool or extra high grit sandpaper. Try it first on an inconspicuous area on the reverse to make sure you will be satisfied with the result.

image.thumb.png.0ccdef5f4b84faf6b9038742f52664a7.png

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png