fossil_lover_2277

So I just made a trip to a publicly accessible creek that cuts through the Triassic Cumnock formation of North Carolina. Made a couple of nice finds. An unknown plant fossil, it’s worn down a bit, but anyone think they can ID? Also found a TON of what I believe are Cyzicus fossils, the largest are just shy of 1cm. Can anyone confirm these are Cyzicus? Thanks for the help!!!

14824B3C-5F99-4258-A842-F33B067BDA81.jpeg

4550696C-9774-4018-B59D-CE6C7808DEFC.jpeg

67328ACF-D197-4A21-B49F-6A5489BEC33D.jpeg

86FB3C14-8263-4883-AF5C-76A819355E93.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Is the "plant" as three-dimensional as it looks in the picture? I think it is rather trace fossils, perhaps some kind of burrows.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, connorp said:

Is the "plant" as three-dimensional as it looks in the picture? I think it is rather trace fossils, perhaps some kind of burrows.

Yes the structure is “3D” as you say. They are a raised structure on the rock, they’re not just flat traces

i thought about burrows, but the structures have such a uniform shape, didn’t think that was it, but I could be wrong. Like they’re really straight and overlap one another

Edited by Landon

6 hours ago, Landon said:

Also found a TON of what I believe are Cyzicus fossils, the largest are just shy of 1cm. Can anyone confirm these are Cyzicus?

These have been called Cyzicus but are probably a different genus. The NC Fossil Club publication labels these as Euestheria.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Al Dente said:

These have been called Cyzicus but are probably a different genus. The NC Fossil Club publication labels these as Euestheria.

Thanks for the help, that makes a lot of sense! I was also wondering, does the fossil I called a “plant” look like burrows to you?

The burrows could be Thalassionides, but I'm not familiar with your area.

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Those are in fact an ichnofossil. As for the name, I’m curious too as I have similar specimens from Utah from a few years back I have yet to identify.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

59 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Those are in fact an ichnofossil. As for the name, I’m curious too as I have similar specimens from Utah from a few years back I have yet to identify.

I found a publication that referred to them as “Scoyenia”...and the fossil may actually be from the Pekin formation, not the Cumnock, the creek it’s from cuts through both formations 

https://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~polsen/nbcp/olsen_huber_98.pdf

the “Cyzicus” compression fossils are definitely Cumnock formation shale

Edited by Landon

5 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

6 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Yup I found a matching pic from a publication online, definitely looks like Scoyenia

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/14-Scoyenia-gracilis-GRCA-8538-from-the-Hermit-Formation-White-1929-Scale-bar-is-1_fig9_340493078

521F732D-E95A-4363-A2FF-16A038CF0F76.png

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, I’d agree to the genus for sure. I never trust ichnos with a species name, personally!

good find thanks for the info!

• Enjoyed 1

On 9/11/2021 at 6:51 AM, Landon said:

Yup I found a matching pic from a publication online, definitely looks like Scoyenia

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/14-Scoyenia-gracilis-GRCA-8538-from-the-Hermit-Formation-White-1929-Scale-bar-is-1_fig9_340493078

521F732D-E95A-4363-A2FF-16A038CF0F76.png

It could be a good match! 

• I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library