Mosasaur tooth in matrix

Gareth_

Hey all

This has popped up on on my country's version of online.... yep, no online here! 

I appreciate your thoughts on this one

I'm sceptical... real tooth, seemingly in good condition (on the one side at least) apart from a missing tip.

I can see two different colours on the matrix.... is the bulk of it real matrix with fake matrix coated over the top to hide a bunch of inconsistencies? Or is the whole lot fake matrix.

The area where the crown and root meet is bad, really bad - definitely manufactured.

Is that even a real root or a random piece of bone? 

Assuming the root is genuine, I'm guessing there is no way to tell if it is associated with that tooth?

I have a very off feeling with this but as always, I'll let the experts pick it over.

I've posted all the pictures that are listed with the auction

The description is poor.... no further info is provided.

Really great specimen of a mosasaur tooth. Hard to find with the root still attached to the tooth. Would make a great addition to any fossil collection.

I only deal in unique, rare and high quality pieces of fossils and gemstones.

120mm x 95mm x 38mm

image.thumb.png.66c3a30648da74f5b6189eca6850acda.pngimage.thumb.png.ad805a252d0feead95b8c97cc9fb2adb.pngimage.thumb.png.4bf2f8a783a8b6dd45726e48c92bff32.pngimage.thumb.png.30e9c8599791b90ff0709f77af272965.pngimage.thumb.png.457c2d6de9203dc130f2bd7562d1aef6.png

I would run away from this one.   Tooth and root added to another matrix and root looks carved.  Almost looks like someone poured sand on it after applying the 'specimen' onto a hunk of real matrix.

RB

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Hello,

Seen much better examples out there. It should not be expensive , also the tip is broken / missing. The whole thing looks very sandy lol. No picture from top side?
Would personally not buy it

• Thank You 1

Thank you all for your input. This item is very, very expensive for what it is, I was just making sure I wasn't missing something - I wasn't. If it was 1/5 the price I'd consider it to remove the crown. 

In addition to what already been said concerning the fake root and real crown, you never know quite how much of a crown you actually get. Typically it's based on "what you see is what you get". I'd steer clear of this one...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

you never know quite how much of a crown you actually get. Typically it's based on "what you see is what you get". 

Yeah that is true, they aren't going to use high quality crowns to make a composite fossil, they're worth enough all by themselves!