Unknown fossil found in home

OldNubbins

These two pieces were found among some personal items from a friend who passed away recently. No information at all was available. It's possible they were originally found in Northern California but that is purely speculative.

fossil2 - Copy.jpg

fossil1 - Copy.jpg

Where was your friend from in Northern California? We may be able to suggest fossil bearing formations nearby.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Where was your friend from in Northern California? We may be able to suggest fossil bearing formations nearby.

Mendocino county. I imagine anywhere from Santa Barbara northward is most likely.

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Sort of has the look of a root trace. Maybe ?

Bone pieces for sure. You can see the classic bone marrows/etc in picture bottom center. But as to what they are - I'm guessing most of us can't figure it out. 

• I Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Tetradium said:

Bone pieces for sure. You can see the classic bone marrows/etc in picture bottom center. But as to what they are - I'm guessing most of us can't figure it out. 

Definitely. Guess I should have stayed for the whole post. :headscratch:

First one ?

Definitely pieces of fossil bone but so eroded and without knowing age or formation would not hazard a guess as to what kind of animal they came from.

2 hours ago, M Harvey said:

Definitely pieces of fossil bone but so eroded and without knowing age or formation would not hazard a guess as to what kind of animal they came from.

The one thing I just notice is that they are pretty big so suspect whales consider I could be mistaken but Northern California don't sound like a hotspot for large land mammal fossils. 

5 hours ago, Tetradium said:

Yes First group of pics. And those are pretty big bones so I suspects whales. From what I heard and its been so long I could be wrong but Northern California sounds like it had no hotspots for large land mammal fossils?