Dino egg nest fossil?

craigory

Hi Everyone,

First post here... does the dino egg nest in the photos look real? If so, any idea on the type of dinosaur they belong to?

Thank you!

Dino Eggs 4.jpeg

Dino Eggs 3.jpeg

Dino Eggs 2.jpeg

Dino Eggs 1.jpeg

Moved to IS IT REAL?  ;)

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would like to see closeup of different areas of the nest to see if its all associated.   A photo of the back would be advisable.  Agree with RB condition is not the best.

Eggs are typically not identified to a dinosaur but to a Oogenus (Dendroolithus like your tag indicates) based on many characteristics including size, shape and ornamentation of the eggshell.  So what size are these eggs and do you have a provenance on them?

• I Agree 2

Thanks! Yes, agree it doesn't look like it's in the best shape but this is all the information I have:

Provenance: Nanxiong formation Ganzhou province, China

Nest size: 20.07 x 16.14 x 5.11inch (51 x 41 x 13cm)

Egg size: 4.13~4.33inch (10.5~11cm)

Weight: 31kilogram (68.3LB)

I believe the province is Guangdong which is associated with the Nanxiong Fm.  Not sure Ganzhou is even one. Without additional photos I cannot make a definitive assessment on this nest.

@-Andy- can you tell if Spheroolithius or Dendroolithus ?

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I believe the province is Guangdong which is associated with the Nanxiong Fm.  Not sure Ganzhou is even one. Without additional photos I cannot make a definitive assessment on this nest.

@-Andy- can you tell if Spheroolithius or Dendroolithus ?

Guangzhou is a city, the capital of Guangdong Province. 

With location -- Ganzhou is a city, province would Jiangxi. There is a place in Ganzhou which is part of the Nanxiong Formatiom.

• Thank You 1

The locality should be Ganzhou City of Jiangxi province > https://abc7chicago.com/dinosaur-fossil-discovery-oviraptorosaur/10417251/

Unfortunately, neither Dendroolithus nor Spheroolithus are formally described at the Nanxiong Formation. I label mine as Dendroolithus/Spheroolithus because I haven't found any way of identifying either species. Truth be told - they could very well be another oogenus entirely, perhaps even Oolithes indet.

• Thank You 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

21 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

The locality should be Ganzhou City of Jiangxi province > https://abc7chicago.com/dinosaur-fossil-discovery-oviraptorosaur/10417251/

Unfortunately, neither Dendroolithus nor Spheroolithus are formally described at the Nanxiong Formation. I label mine as Dendroolithus/Spheroolithus because I haven't found any way of identifying either species. Truth be told - they could very well be another oogenus entirely, perhaps even Oolithes indet.

Thank you - to clarify, are you saying they look real but not Dendroolithus? Or do they look like dendroolithus and the provenance may be inaccurate (not Nanxiong fm)?

Are there any books or papers you'd recommend on IDing these? I went ahead and bought them so I'll post more photos when/if I receive them if that'll help with IDing

7 minutes ago, craigory said:

Thank you - to clarify, are you saying they look real but not Dendroolithus? Or do they look like dendroolithus and the provenance may be inaccurate (not Nanxiong fm)?

Are there any books or papers you'd recommend on IDing these? I went ahead and bought them so I'll post more photos when/if I receive them if that'll help with IDing

They look real but most of us here lack the tools and expertise to recognize egg oogenera

While they look like they could be Dendroolithus, they could very well be Spheroolithus or Oolithes as well. The provenance of Nanxiong Formation looks accurate

I don't own the book but 'Eggs, Nests, and Baby Dinosaurs : A Look at Dinosaur Reproduction' was written by Dr Kenneth Carpenter who has experience with dinosaur eggs. From what little sample pages I could read, the book looks to be great at identifying eggs

• Thank You 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

6 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

I don't own the book but 'Eggs, Nests, and Baby Dinosaurs : A Look at Dinosaur Reproduction' was written by Dr Kenneth Carpenter who has experience with dinosaur eggs. From what little sample pages I could read, the book looks to be great at identifying eggs

Thank you again for this info, I just ordered the book because it looks very interesting!

I agree the eggs are real but the photos are not adequate to determine if the clutch is composited.

Great book however identification is not going to be easy since like Andy mentioned they have not been described from that formation.  It also requires a microstructure analysis of the morphology of the eggshell

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Great book however identification is not going to be easy

Completely understand... I got the book more to learn about dino eggs and oogenera in general! I will take some more photos when I recieve the specimen... the seller said that you can see parts of some eggs from the underside as well