A fossilized conch shell?

Het Patel

Nice shell! This does look like a conch. Unfortunately, it will be difficult to determine if it is a fossil without general geologic information or location on the find. Scale in millimeters would also help. Happy Hunting! :)

Edited by Mainefossils

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

2 hours ago, Mainefossils said:

Nice shell! This does look like a conch. Unfortunately, it will be difficult to determine if it is a fossil without general geologic information or location on the find. Scale in millimeters would also help. Happy Hunting! :)

. And here's the signs that it is not a conch. Look at the ridges spiraling around inside shell. Volute family. Conch/whelk/etc. don't have those ridges on the inside. Only Volute/mitra family have them. Maybe one more family that I forgot about. 

1 hour ago, Tetradium said:

. And here's the signs that it is not a conch. Look at the ridges spiraling around inside shell. Volute family. Conch/whelk/etc. don't have those ridges on the inside. Only Volute/mitra family have them. Maybe one more family that I forgot about. 

Thanks for your opinion! I see what you mean, but I think that some conchs also have spirals on the inner whorl. Below is a picture of a conch shell cross-section that I found on the web. A volute shell is still a possibility though, I do notice that the ridges are not as pronounced in the image below. I think we will have to wait for someone more experienced than me though, I have not collected conch or volute shells before. Maybe @MikeR could help? 

2068698672_ScreenShot2021-09-12at5_54_08PM.thumb.png.7b3b04656e8d4d255519b86b6c980c3d.png

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

My immediate thought was a Volutid. Try looking into Caricella species to start. Geologic age and locality information might help.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Mainefossils said:

Thanks for your opinion! I see what you mean, but I think that some conchs also have spirals on the inner whorl. Below is a picture of a conch shell cross-section that I found on the web. A volute shell is still a possibility though, I do notice that the ridges are not as pronounced in the image below. I think we will have to wait for someone more experienced than me though, I have not collected conch or volute shells before. Maybe @MikeR could help? 

2068698672_ScreenShot2021-09-12at5_54_08PM.thumb.png.7b3b04656e8d4d255519b86b6c980c3d.png

3 hours ago, Mainefossils said:

Forgot to mention look at the lips. 

2 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

My immediate thought was a Volutid. Try looking into Caricella species to start. Geologic age and locality information might help.

One thing I just noticed but seemly off is the single reddish pink broken line on the mouth side of the volutid. 

The shell belongs to Turbinellidae, maybe Turbinella rapa.  Also looks like a heavily worn recent shell.

https://eol.org/pages/45372757/media?license_group=no_copyright

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain